Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Incompatible Version (Solution)

Citadel

Hi there! 

A core of us have been affected recently by the "Incompatible Version" 'bug' over the weekend. I was rather perplexed how this came to be when everything had been working normally up until that Sunday midday for me. That evening, my friend and I decided to log and here we faced that dreaded "IV". I made sure to save our world, just in case, and saved it locally. I scanned the forums such as you have to find a solution. Many theories exist, but not one solution to rule them all. I am sure many of us didn't consider using "Valheim +" and somehow it got activated on our control panels, either with intention, or inadvertently. And this lies the problem, many users have activated their that mod feature without properly installing or not having it installed at all. IF that is the case, then you must go to your "Modify Valheim+ Config" go to "General Server" section and UNCHECK the "Enforce Mod Version Check". Save configuration, make sure your mod drop down box is select to "no mod" restart server, and it should start working for you.

Another thing I've noticed via complaints by users is seeing the "???" on their version. This is a "refresh" issue and what I found that works for me after restarting a server, or logging into the panel is this. Look to your left where it says "Gamer Servers" click on that, then proceed to click on your server now and all the information that had the "???" beside it or "loading" should display the correct updated information. 

I also wanted to add that some users have mentioned their troubleshooting methods, which is the inspiration of this post. I hope it helps many of you.

We do not recommend unchecking the Enforce Mod checkbox. I am confused why it even exists. Most of the features of Valheim+ rely on this being checked and having it installed client-side. There simply is no benefit to allowing clients to connect without it. You wouldn't want players being able to play the game at vanilla settings while another player is playing with increased settings.

If you get Incompatible Version it's because #1) the connecting client does not have it installed. See this guide to install and confirm at the end (under Tips & Tricks) that it is installed

https://survivalservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Install_Valheim_Plus

Or #2 you have a bad config client-side. You can simply reinstall Valheim+ and overwrite that \BepInEx\config\valheim_plus.cfg to default and then attempt reconnecting (so rinse and repeat the Clientside Install Steps entirely if you are unsure)

• 2 months later...

I found a fix. So reinstalling the 4 mods I had incompatible was becoming super annoying. So my girl friend who has the same mods as me and runs the server I was trying to join... had to be in build mode for me to join... LOL who knew such a simple fix... I was extremely confused when our versions matched mod for mod, version to version... same everything, I literally moded her game with all the same downloads, I used google drive and made a manual mod list of the zips in a new folder uploaded that folder, then downloaded it on her computer with the link. Unzipped then dropped the zip files in vortex... super easy way to get the same game as someone. I tried quite a few fixes, randomly could enter with a new charactor and couldn't... for no reason, nothing was making sense. Anyways it was the build camera mod and they just went into build mode... also it may be that the server owner has to NOT be in build mode for you to join. Hope this helps someone cheers! as of May30th 2021.