Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

de sync when near players

mstrgooch

I already opened a ticket about server performance and had it solved but I noticed after enough verification that the servers ping itself was fine but I noticed when close to other players  there is massive de sync. Its been happening a lot more lately now that we are established and building all sorts of things. The closer you get to the "hub" the worse it gets.  Mainly though it's quite bad when you're next to other players. 

I noticed this https://steamlists.com/valheim-fix-for-multiplayer-lag/

I am wondering if this is a fix i'm able to apply for the dedicated server i'm having hosted through FTP, I am hoping that if i do make this change it will not default back automatically. Also just posting it here so mods can see and maybe test for themselves and see if its something they would consider applying as default? I'm pretty sure the desync happens when you are playing with users who might more or less have poor speeds but It's still quite annoying. 

Thanks!

We now have one person who is, no joke, 3-4 mins ahead of the rest the group on the server.  We are communicating through discord and his character is moving through its paces on our screens but his actions and current actions are 3-4 mins apart.

We found that the data received and sent by that client was capped and that it was probably the culprit. The other Ryan applied a fix to our server that removed that cap and things seemed to have cleared up.

I am currently experiencing this on my server even with just 2 players logged on. It is only 1 friend and I playing and it basically becomes unplayable when fighting monsters. Is this something I can make a ticket about and get something resolved like jerex32 said in his comment? 

5 hours ago, Tycru said:

I am currently experiencing this on my server even with just 2 players logged on. It is only 1 friend and I playing and it basically becomes unplayable when fighting monsters. Is this something I can make a ticket about and get something resolved like jerex32 said in his comment? 

If you hit F2 in game, it brings up a window which will show your data sent and received. The data sent is capped at 64kb, but you can modify it using software such as dnSpy. We did this for our server but I don't think it really helped since none of us even go over 60 for sent (and we have 7 players at once). 

The biggest culprit with rubber banding is the way the game handles the connections. If players A zones in to an area first and he has slow speeds/spotty internet, it'll cause you to rubber band if you're also in the area because he's in a way "hosting" that area off his network. If he leaves the area and you're still in it, you take over as the host and vice versa. This is what causes the desync issues. We have one guy on our server with bad internet and whenever he's leading the pack it causes all of us to lag while he has no issues. It seems monsters/entities only appear when someone is within render distance as well.

It improved on my server too when I upped the server transfer cap.

It might be overwritten when the game updates, but some mods are already popping up to enable this without directly modifying the original file. I think so at least.
The Valheim plus and Longhip mods include configs to modify it.
There's also a mod named "A Simple Fix To Valheim Multiplayer Desync" if you aren't interested in everything else included in the other mods.
Haven't tried installing any of them yet tho.