Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

LRN2FTP (Beginner's Guide To FTP)

FTP - File Transfer Protocol, a way to transfer files from you computer to a server (in this case your ARK server) and vice versa.  There are a lot of FTP programs out there, but I'll be doing a step-by-step on how to Quickconnect through a free and open source program called FileZilla.

Download.  Install.  Connect.

1.)  First things first!  Download the FileZilla client (<--click) for your system and install it.

2.)  Run FileZilla.  The first thing you might see is blanks for Host, Username, and Password.  Log into your Survival Servers control panel if you aren't already.  You'll need to plug in the information from "FTP Details."

22WZvDP.png

3.)  Plug in the IP where it says "Host:", your FTP username for "Username:", and password in "Password:".  You can leave "Port:" blank since 21 is already recognized as the default.  However, you can still put the number in there if you want...it won't hurt anything.  Click Quickconnect!

Dfr4UZr.png

4.)  If you have successfully connected to your server, you'll get a message in the Status box reading "Directory listing of '/' successful."  If you have any errors, fix where the error is (bad IP, username, or password).  It's recommended NOT to copy and paste any information (especially passwords!) since you can accidentally copy spaces and spaces are evil. If you're still getting errors, I'd put in a ticket to see what's going on.  Any time you want to connect to your server after this session, you can just click on the down arrow next to 'Quickconnect' and there's an option for your server so you don't have to re-fill all this information again.

QktQ11A.png

vHfY1k5.png

Destination Setup. Transferring Files.  Remote File Editing.

1.)  In the middle of the application you should see two split windows.  One says "Local site:".  This is your own PC directory, which you can browse through just like Windows Explorer.  The other says "Remote site:".  This is your ARK server, which you can also browse through.  If you need to get into a folder, just click the "+" plus sign next to it or double-click the name of the folder.  If the folder has a "?" question mark on it, your PC just doesn't know what's inside.  Just clicking on a folder once will reveal its contents in the "Filename" directory box below it.

nNhPioF.png

2.)  If you need to transfer files from your PC to the server, you first need to ensure the Remote Site destination is set first.  For example, if I need to upload a local file into the Maps folder under /ShooterGame/Content/, I should have it set like this:

NMWVDUn.png

3.) Likewise, if I need to transfer a file from the server to my PC, I need to ensure the Local Site destination is set.  For example, if I'm going to download a server file to my ARK folder on my desktop it needs to look like this:

zuU95dA.png

4.)  As long as the destination of where you need the file to go is set up correctly, you won't run into any problems.  If it's not properly setup, you will accidentally upload/download files to the wrong place.  Let's say I need to upload my local copy of "ShooterEntry.umap" into the Maps folder and have my remote site setup.  I need to find the file under Local Site, right-click it and select "Upload."  You should see the file pop up under the Transfer Queue, which is that giant blank space, and start uploading from your PC to the actual server.

O0lVwfQ.png

5.) If you're transferring a file to a directory that has the same file name, it will pop up a big prompt of what you want to do about the situation.  Usually, you just want to OVERWRITE the file.  So make sure that option is selected and click "OK."

0Yy10B0.png

6.) Lastly, we'll briefly go over how to modify files from your server!  I wouldn't really recommend doing this unless you absolutely know what you're doing, especially since this game is brand new and early access. Find the file you need to modify in the server by browsing in the Remote Site, right-click on it, and select "View/Edit."  This will open the file in the default program you selected, usually Notepad (or Notepad++ if you deal with code or just prefer it).

s9VwoQ8.png

7.)  After you're done with the file REMEMBER TO SAVE IT!  From here, you can close out the file and you'll get a prompt that the file has changed.  Always check mark the option to "Finish editing and delete local file" and click "Yes" because it will upload the saved changes automatically to the server.

neUvd5L.png

...And that's it!  Now you know some of the basics of FTP.  Any changes or any files added to the server, you have to restart the server in order for the changes/new files to take effect. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  Either I or someone with better knowledge will help you.  Please let me know if the guide helped at all, I'd appreciate the feedback!   :wink:

Troubleshooting -

Constant connection timeouts:
Edit -> Settings -> Timeout in seconds -> Change this value to something higher

ok your next job it to explain how to edit the files inside the ftp and what program is the best to use . plz start with with spawn files :-P 

awesome job on this guide tho :-)

If it's a text file, files can be modified within the FTP program like I explained in the guide.  Otherwise, you need the proper software that can open the files to modify.  In that case you'll need to download the files to your PC, upload the new files you modified, and overwrite the old ones.

they are .uasset files  i have been told that these can only been edited by UE4  but i can open them from the ftp with notepad . although im not sure if opening them in ue4 will make them easier to understand or not.

i have no experience with ue4 and from what i can tell its pretty complex . seems a bit of a ball ace for simple ftp files >< 

Nice guide. I know how to FTP, but if I want to back up all sever files to my computer which ones should I do? LOL I like to have lots of back ups everywhere.

Also does anyone know how to wipe the server, but not have to put in a ticket using the FTP?

Thanks,

Michael

I think the "ShooterGame" folder is all you need for backing up your server files.  Not sure how to wipe a server.

Edit:  Thanks for the responses!  I appreciate it, and glad this guide helps.

Awesome guide man! The first time I looked into the FTP process I froze with a deer in the headlights look. This guide has made me feel more confident that I won't nuke the server some how. Thanks a ton!

Forgive because I'm pretty new at this. So I had some requests to move our server to a New York server so it would be more of a central location for all the players. Using this program I made sure to back up the SavedArks folder to my computer. I also brought the GameUserSettings.ini over so I could have the same configuration on the new server. Once everything was backed up, I changed the server location and restarted the server. Once it was restarted, I stopped the server, went back in and uploaded the files into the correct places. Once that was done I restarted the server. After a few minutes it said it was ready to join. My problem is, I can't find the server on Ark now. It doesn't come up anywhere yet the website says it's running and ready to join. Any idea of what may have happened?

My problem is, I can't find the server on Ark now. It doesn't come up anywhere yet the website says it's running and ready to join. Any idea of what may have happened?

My server doesn't show on the unofficial list either.  You have to manually add it to your favorites through the Steam app.  View -> Servers and add the IP:Port .  You won't be able to join off this server list, so you have to launch ARK and go to your favorites.  This isn't a problem through SurvivalServers, but the way the ARK devs have the server pop weirdly coded.  Hopefully will be fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep getting an error trying to login to FTP. Error: Could not connect to server. Does the server need to be started to do this?

Can you screenshot the settings you are using (you can blur out the user/pass but not the IP / Port)

Can you screenshot the settings you are using (you can blur out the user/pass but not the IP / Port)

Got that working, but having some issues in game now. I created a thread "Farming Troubles"

Problem i am having is that whenever i try to restart/update and restart/stop the server to apply the changes, each time i do this the gameuser.ini just resets to the default version and all the changes are removed.

Hi all, I just got my server up and running but I believe I made my server Host/Hosted By too long and now on the server list it just says "Survival Servers - (v185.4)

I'm trying to change the server name via FTP and am using your guide. I added "ServerName=BlahBlahBlah" as the first line of gameusersettings and uploaded and deleted the local files per your guide. I then restarted the server. 

I confirmed that the changes were made on the ini but I'm not seeing the changes made ingame or on the arkservers.net server list. 

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I just got my server up and running but I believe I made my server Host/Hosted By too long and now on the server list it just says "Survival Servers - (v185.4)

I'm trying to change the server name via FTP and am using your guide. I added "ServerName=BlahBlahBlah" as the first line of gameusersettings and uploaded and deleted the local files per your guide. I then restarted the server. 

I confirmed that the changes were made on the ini but I'm not seeing the changes made ingame or on the arkservers.net server list. 

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Use the "Launch Parameters Line" in the control panel instead (you need to check mark "Custom Launch Parameters" first).  Where "SessionName=Server Name?" is the place you want to rename the server.

launch%20parameters%20line.png

/Game/Maps/TheIslandSubMaps/TheIsland?Multihome=PutIPHere?Port=17615?QueryPort=17616?SessionName=Server Name?MaxPlayers=50?listen?ServerPassword=?ServerAdminPassword=?AllowThirdPersonPlayer=true?AltSaveDirectoryName=SavedArk####

This is a modified version of what I have in my launch parameters line.  Make sure you also change "Multihome=PutIPHere?" with your server IP, and "SavedArk####" with your server ID in the hashes.  Modify anything else you see there too, like if you don't have a 50-slot server you can change the number to whatever you have.

Hope this helps. :)

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the question guys, I'm VERY new to this stuff. I read through the FTP guide and I think I understand most of it, however, when I use "admincheat saveworld", I am not able to find where the save was placed. I want to ensure I save before I shutdown and update the server. Please help me out, I'm still learning, but you'll only need to explain what I'm missing once! Thank you in advance to whomever can walk me through this. 

Also, once I have the save, I just transfer the file to my computer from the server files, and then should I need it, transfer it back to the server files from my computer, is this correct? 

hello I'm getting this when I try log in is that my side out from there I get the server from and what do I do to fix it

Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS.

• 7 months later...

Use the "Launch Parameters Line" in the control panel instead (you need to check mark "Custom Launch Parameters" first).  Where "SessionName=Server Name?" is the place you want to rename the server.

launch%20parameters%20line.png

/Game/Maps/TheIslandSubMaps/TheIsland?Multihome=PutIPHere?Port=17615?QueryPort=17616?SessionName=Server Name?MaxPlayers=50?listen?ServerPassword=?ServerAdminPassword=?AllowThirdPersonPlayer=true?AltSaveDirectoryName=SavedArk####

This is a modified version of what I have in my launch parameters line.  Make sure you also change "Multihome=PutIPHere?" with your server IP, and "SavedArk####" with your server ID in the hashes.  Modify anything else you see there too, like if you don't have a 50-slot server you can change the number to whatever you have.

Hope this helps. :)

What if I don't have the custom launch parameters on my control panel? Also, what if I don't have the conversion ID section either

What if I don't have the custom launch parameters on my control panel? Also, what if I don't have the conversion ID section either

Then you switch to Custom map and modify the hostname from the launch line there.

However, it's recommended to just modify the hostname in the actual hostname field. =)

2016-05-18_10h29_48.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am rusty at using the FTP access, but have followed the guide and still cannot log in.

I get the following.

Command: User "User name from control panel under FTP details"

Response: 331 Password required for "username"

Command: Pass*********

Response: 530 Not logged in, password error. 

Error: Critical error:Could not connect to server.

I am using the FTP ip in Host, the username starting with ss under ftp details, and the password associated under ftp details. I type them out and do not add spaces. Help?

Hi first off this post is outdated filezilla changed there whole UI and second i keep getting this. Protocol error: Unknown protocol identifier (0x50 0x50 0x48). Most likely connected to the wrong port.

Connection to server closed.

Trying to reconnect in 5 seconds

and the port that im using is 21 which was giving by u guys and it wont let me just leave it blank. trying to get my server to start but the custom map im using which is total conversion moon survival isnt joinable i cant find it. it says its up and ready im trying to figure out why its not working.