Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

How do I back up my server? Missing .db file in directory

kaequ

Hello all,

My friends and I have dumped loads of time into this server since paying for it, and I'm getting a little anxious about possibly losing data when the server restarts.

I've checked the ftp and only found the .fwl file, I can't find the .db file at all. Is this a problem? Do I need to wait for the first server reset to see that file?

Is there any other way to ensure a backup of the progress we've made (i.e. our house and items)? 

I do not have admin rights on the server, and although people say it saves every 30 minutes, I haven't seen any notification of it doing so. I'm also missing any back up on the admin control panel where it says "Restore a Valheim Backup" - the dropdown is empty.

I've read through the stickies and have searched through pretty much this entire forum to no avail. 

Can anyone help? Do I not need to worry about any data loss if the server resets tomorrow morning?

The game saves every 20 minutes automatically now.  If the server shuts down before the next save, anything between the save "ticks" will be lost.  You can prevent this by using "save" in the console as an admin.  I've made a habit of it before every logout.

As an admin (which I read you don't have, why?), you can test the saving yourself.  Log in, build some stuff (throw down a few floors/walls/etc.), type "save" in the F5 console (should respond with "Saving..."), and do a restart.

As for the .db, it should be in the root folder along with the .fwl file.  If it's not, I have no idea.

15 hours ago, kaequ said:

Hello all,

My friends and I have dumped loads of time into this server since paying for it, and I'm getting a little anxious about possibly losing data when the server restarts.

I've checked the ftp and only found the .fwl file, I can't find the .db file at all. Is this a problem? Do I need to wait for the first server reset to see that file?

Is there any other way to ensure a backup of the progress we've made (i.e. our house and items)? 

I do not have admin rights on the server, and although people say it saves every 30 minutes, I haven't seen any notification of it doing so. I'm also missing any back up on the admin control panel where it says "Restore a Valheim Backup" - the dropdown is empty.

I've read through the stickies and have searched through pretty much this entire forum to no avail. 

Can anyone help? Do I not need to worry about any data loss if the server resets tomorrow morning?

If this is still an issue please submit a support ticket!