Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Update on roll back issue - 10/16 - **FIXED**

My server 8396 keeps rolling back after updates to the same time like two weeks ago.  I submitted a ticket days ago about this and I still don't have any response to it.

Are you doing a "saveworld" before running updates or restarting? That's been the ONLY way I've been able to stop getting random rollbacks.

So i thought I did a save world but it was thru ARKON and im not sure it worked. otherwise i do have it setup to save every 15 min but it rolled back around 24 hours. I opened a ticket but i didn't get a ticket number or a confirmation email. Server #7113

Restoring back didn't do anything either. hoping there is a solution out there. 

Edit: got ticket number 

Ticket #604967

Saveworld will only prevent rollbacks of around 15 ~ minutes for default ARK files.

If you are rolling back greater than 15 minutes, it's not related to the saveworld command.

I currently do not have a solution. We have cut down about 8 out of 10 of our roll back customers, which is good progress, but unfortunately we do not have resolution for every customer quite yet. As the game is in alpha, we may have to simply wait until the game developers fix the issue.

Saveworld will only prevent rollbacks of around 15 ~ minutes for default ARK files.

If you are rolling back greater than 15 minutes, it's not related to the saveworld command.

I currently do not have a solution. We have cut down about 8 out of 10 of our roll back customers, which is good progress, but unfortunately we do not have resolution for every customer quite yet. As the game is in alpha, we may have to simply wait until the game developers fix the issue.

I don't mind backing up files to either my HDD or Dropbox. What files or folder do you suggest backing up? and any suggested way to do it other then dragging and dropping in FIlezilla?

• 2 weeks later...

massive roll backing since about v210, keep getting sent back to a previous save, which was about a day before v210 came out, I do do the saveworld command which does not work. Also it seems the auto-save function on the server config is gone? Didn't see anything on that.

server #8386

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up 9/7/2015 and everything has been fine until then 2 days ago, when we started rolling back about half a day every day it seems so far at least for the last two days. I have submitted a ticket also.  Server #8513

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

To combat rollbacks, I need info on how these file systems work.

Is there any way I can save files and download them first BEFORE an update happens and breaks them? Because I tried this, and it didnt work for me, I need direction on how to do it properly.

Rollbacks and at the moment, we have no option to restore a previous backup.

The save files, many of them look totally broken. Usually save files get slightly bigger and bigger as time goes on.

The last 12 saves or so [going back approximately 2 to 3 days] seem to be very broken, their file sizes are all smaller and vary widely. Some go from 75mb then others are 22kb or 0 .

The last "safe" looking file, turns out have it so it has everyone removed from all tribes.

So since weve experienced this about 2 or 3 times so far [across the last 2 or 3 major updates]

This time around, I actually took the liberty of downloading all of the save files first, before the update reset.

But apparently, for reasons I dont understand, this didnt work.

The file saves, should have all been

77.3MB

77.4MB

77.5MB

77.6MB

etc etc. Gradual size increase as time goes on, naturally.

but the latest files for some reason were all broken and are 

77.4MB

35.8MB

77.5MB

77.3MB

77.3MB

64.5MB

29.6MB

And per support info, these "broken" saves will prevent your server from starting up at all.

But this was before we updated and restarted the server.

So how could these have been broken? Were they saved incorrectly in the first place?

When ARK releases the server update, even before we apply it, does it somehow affect the save files on SurvivalServers.com?? 

Can anyone tell me how this works?

Because I have spent so many hours on restoring the past month or so,

if all it takes is me saving a copy of the latest backup to my computer every night before I go to bed, Im almost willing to have to do that, if itll prevent this sort of thing.

Can anyone tell me if that will be effective?

Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

All of what you have said is stuff that I've tried. The data is non-recoverable. Our backup system is doing the same exact thing that you are doing but on our backup servers. The game backups in the SavedArk folder are done by the game but the same exact data that is being backed up by our systems (or manually downloaded if you do that). Any of this data that you try to load in from will not retrieve the lost/missing data.

The reason for this is still unknown but most likely related to Windows permissions / game bug / some combination there. The last update I posted seems to have fixed the issue largely (you can read in depth on what I've done in the main post), we've only had 1 or 2 roll backs in the last couple major updates rather than 5-10 per the usual.

I have had a rollback well over a week ago, twice. I sent in email support, both a week ago at the time of the first issue. As well as just today, my server number is 5898, could you please look into it?

• 2 weeks later...

Today I ran the update with a restart to the server and it went to 222.2 while the official were at 222.1 still. I doubt that this matters but the server was rolled back on log on to about Monday 11/2/2015. This is the second time this happened. First time was with the Fear evolved event. Eventually I was able to load a back up that was not rolled back but it took 8+ tried.

Today I ran the update with a restart to the server and it went to 222.2 while the official were at 222.1 still. I doubt that this matters but the server was rolled back on log on to about Monday 11/2/2015. This is the second time this happened. First time was with the Fear evolved event. Eventually I was able to load a back up that was not rolled back but it took 8+ tried.

This is not the same as the roll back issue described in this thread.

This is a data corruption issue. The fix is a roll back, but it's not the same issue. Data corruption usually occurs when a mod interferes with a world save and unfortunately, occurs some times. It's not avoidable until the ARK modding process has some sort of world save validation baked into the actually code, something we have zero control over sadly.