Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

World Backup Doesn't Contain Any Player Progress

tupperward

I recently made a backup and to confirm it was working properly ran it locally. The map loaded with all my annotations and I was able to navigate to them on the map, but then Day 1 appeared and as I approached our starting base the structures and items were missing. 

The method I took to get the backups was to use WinSCP with the connection details and credentials provided to save the files that are marked through the symlink. The files saved and show the correct expected size. To test to make sure these accurately reflect what is in the backup I zipped them in another folder and confirmed that the backups and the zipped .fwl and .db are the same size.

So either I'm missing something in my files or something happened to them during the FTP process. Either way, I'm a little upset. What workarounds do I have to have a locally stored copy? Why is this harder than setting up my own cloud instance and managing it personally? 

I'll be honest, the performance of this VM is incredibly disappointing. Every time a group of 5+ players is together there's a very high chance of desync occurring and it seems from the Control Panel that the allocated resources are slim compared to competing hosting services. Even worse there's no way for me to add additional resources to my current host? I'm willing to pay you more money in order to get a properly running server, especially since it seems like I'm actually trapped here anyway.

When saving the file via FTP, does it show that the local copy you saved is 0kb, or is there a larger file size? I can drag/drop the .db/.fwl files from our test server to my local file directory using WinSCP and the back up works properly.

Strange. The only time I've seen the bug where everything disappeared the world were corrupted and physically much smaller.

If I take my world files from my server i am able to start the world in single player with everything included

17 hours ago, tupperward said:

I recently made a backup and to confirm it was working properly ran it locally. The map loaded with all my annotations and I was able to navigate to them on the map, but then Day 1 appeared and as I approached our starting base the structures and items were missing. 

The method I took to get the backups was to use WinSCP with the connection details and credentials provided to save the files that are marked through the symlink. The files saved and show the correct expected size. To test to make sure these accurately reflect what is in the backup I zipped them in another folder and confirmed that the backups and the zipped .fwl and .db are the same size.

So either I'm missing something in my files or something happened to them during the FTP process. Either way, I'm a little upset. What workarounds do I have to have a locally stored copy? Why is this harder than setting up my own cloud instance and managing it personally? 

I'll be honest, the performance of this VM is incredibly disappointing. Every time a group of 5+ players is together there's a very high chance of desync occurring and it seems from the Control Panel that the allocated resources are slim compared to competing hosting services. Even worse there's no way for me to add additional resources to my current host? I'm willing to pay you more money in order to get a properly running server, especially since it seems like I'm actually trapped here anyway.

I think something may be missing or was corrupted during the FTP. 

I use WinSCP as well and have no issues backing up my files so something definitely went haywire along the lines.

Was your character data the same as when you were on the hosts server (no crow/skill resets or anything)? That should all run off your client through your local files so if something is spotty there, it's the client.

Also, regarding the desync issues - it's due to the way the game itself handles connections. If someone with spotty internet is leading the pack and rendering everything, all the entities will run off his connection - this is what causes the desync. The developers are aware and are working on it but they said it's not an easy fix. But having a server like this insures stability. We couldn't run the game off our local machines because our upload speeds just weren't fast enough.

You could try the fix everyone has been trying regarding the data sent cap but honestly, we have 7 people on our server and we've all been monitoring it like crazy, but none of us have even gone over 60kb.

Was your character data the same as when you were on the hosts server (no crow/skill resets or anything)? That should all run off your client through your local files so if something is spotty there, it's the client.

Character data was all there! I'm mainly worried about actual structures etc.

Honestly, I've ironed out a lot but this is the one thing that's still stuck. It's low priority, considering the automated backups but I want to feel a little safer.