Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Am I allowed to edit the Mission pbo file?

Vladick

This might be a dumb question, but i'm wondering if I am able/allowed to edit the mission and server pbo files to change/add functionality to my server. I ask because I have tried to edit the mission pbo and reupload the file only to have the server either not start up or to start up with some very weird functionality. Here's what I tried to change:

1. Change the water mark in the bottom left of the screen to a custom water mark

2. Change the default loading screen to a custom loading screen

3. Change the player default loadout

So I made these simple changes (following directions on this forum) and reuploaded the mission pbo. The game dumped me into the lobby with an error message.

Okay, so maybe I tried to do too much at once...:) So I removed the loadout edit and tried again. I got into the game but there were no vehicles, my character was invisible and no functions worked.

Alright, something is not right here. So I investigated the pbo by unpacking it, repacking it and uploading it. Again, lots of weird problems and errors.

So maybe it's the way I'm packing the pbo? And it turns out that low and behold, one of the files (attributes.init, I think) is being deleted when I unpack and the file is 30 or so kb smaller.

So I try to unpack it a different way and YAY! all the files are there. And when I repack it the file size is still the same. Awesome! But when I upload it (without touching a single file) everything seems to be okay, except that now all of the player icons (food, drink, temp, ect.) are missing. Other problems may be there as well, I just don't know.

Does anyone know what may be happening here? I am using the new Cpanel to download the pbo and am using cpbo to unpack and pack.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Vladick

This might be a dumb question, but i'm wondering if I am able/allowed to edit the mission and server pbo files to change/add functionality to my server. I ask because I have tried to edit the mission pbo and reupload the file only to have the server either not start up or to start up with some very weird functionality. Here's what I tried to change:

1. Change the water mark in the bottom left of the screen to a custom water mark

2. Change the default loading screen to a custom loading screen

3. Change the player default loadout

So I made these simple changes (following directions on this forum) and reuploaded the mission pbo. The game dumped me into the lobby with an error message.

Okay, so maybe I tried to do too much at once...:) So I removed the loadout edit and tried again. I got into the game but there were no vehicles, my character was invisible and no functions worked.

Alright, something is not right here. So I investigated the pbo by unpacking it, repacking it and uploading it. Again, lots of weird problems and errors.

So maybe it's the way I'm packing the pbo? And it turns out that low and behold, one of the files (attributes.init, I think) is being deleted when I unpack and the file is 30 or so kb smaller.

So I try to unpack it a different way and YAY! all the files are there. And when I repack it the file size is still the same. Awesome! But when I upload it (without touching a single file) everything seems to be okay, except that now all of the player icons (food, drink, temp, ect.) are missing. Other problems may be there as well, I just don't know.

Does anyone know what may be happening here? I am using the new Cpanel to download the pbo and am using cpbo to unpack and pack.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Vladick

Hi, most likely the problem is that you ended up screwing something up in the code somewhere. Your best bet is to change your server's map via the control panel and update the server. Once it has updated to the new map change the map back to the one you were using. This resets and gives you brand new pbo files. Then change and upload only one thing at a time. I have changed the spawn loadout and the water mark in the bottom left of players' screens so that shouldn't be the problem for you unless like I said early you messed up the coding somewhere along the line.

Hi, most likely the problem is that you ended up screwing something up in the code somewhere. Your best bet is to change your server's map via the control panel and update the server. Once it has updated to the new map change the map back to the one you were using. This resets and gives you brand new pbo files. Then change and upload only one thing at a time. I have changed the spawn loadout and the water mark in the bottom left of players' screens so that shouldn't be the problem for you unless like I said early you messed up the coding somewhere along the line.

Hello,

Of course, this goes you alter the Mission.

1.Change the Water Mark

1.jpg

2.Change the Loading Screen

2.jpg

and replace

3.jpg

3.Change Player Default loadout

6.jpg

then

4.jpg

then

5.jpg

I hope that's understandable. if not then upload your mission and the picture high. and give notice well what a loadout

Hello,

Of course, this goes you alter the Mission.

1.Change the Water Mark

1.jpg

2.Change the Loading Screen

2.jpg

and replace

3.jpg

3.Change Player Default loadout

6.jpg

then

4.jpg

then

5.jpg

I hope that's understandable. if not then upload your mission and the picture high. and give notice well what a loadout

@BeanZ

Thank you sir for the step-by-step directions for how to do this. They are exactly how I tried to do it. The problem that I am having however is that even if I don't edit the pbo file (and only unpack and repack) and then upload it, it does not work as expected. Can you tell me what program you are using to unpack and pack the pbo files?

Thanks!

Vladick

@BeanZ

Thank you sir for the step-by-step directions for how to do this. They are exactly how I tried to do it. The problem that I am having however is that even if I don't edit the pbo file (and only unpack and repack) and then upload it, it does not work as expected. Can you tell me what program you are using to unpack and pack the pbo files?

Thanks!

Vladick

@BeanZ

Thanks very much for the PBO Manager tip, that did the trick. I was able to unpack, repack and upload and everything seemed in working order.

I then went ahead and changed the watermark and the loading screen and that worked too. Awesome!

But then I got greedy and tried to change the default loadout (following your directions of course) and after repacking and uploading the mission file and starting the game it hung on authentication for a while and then I got some weird error that said "You have to be near a rock to mine ore" and it kicked me to the game lobby. I didn't have a chance to try it again because I was pissing off the players already by restarting the server so many times. I will try it again tonight.

Anybody have that happen to them?

Thanks!

Vladick

@BeanZ

Thanks very much for the PBO Manager tip, that did the trick. I was able to unpack, repack and upload and everything seemed in working order.

I then went ahead and changed the watermark and the loading screen and that worked too. Awesome!

But then I got greedy and tried to change the default loadout (following your directions of course) and after repacking and uploading the mission file and starting the game it hung on authentication for a while and then I got some weird error that said "You have to be near a rock to mine ore" and it kicked me to the game lobby. I didn't have a chance to try it again because I was pissing off the players already by restarting the server so many times. I will try it again tonight.

Thanks!

Vladick

Thanks!

Vladick

Can you past that section of the code in here for I can see how you set it up?

Thanks!

Vladick

Can you past that section of the code in here for I can see how you set it up?

This is what I tried to do just to test it out:

//Customize fresh spawn loadout

DefaultMagazines = ["ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemPainkiller","8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD","8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD","8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD"];

DefaultWeapons = ["ItemMap","MakarovSD"];

DefaultBackpack = "DZ_TerminalPack_EP1";

DefaultBackpackWeapon = "";

Do you think it was the backpack that messed it up. I don't even know what backpack that is or if it's even in Epoch.

Thanks!

Vladick

This is what I tried to do just to test it out:

DefaultMagazines = ["ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemPainkiller","8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD","8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD","8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD"];

DefaultWeapons = ["ItemMap","MakarovSD"];

DefaultBackpack = "DZ_TerminalPack_EP1";

Do you think it was the backpack that messed it up. I don't even know what backpack that is or if it's even in Epoch.

Thanks!

Vladick

Try using this backpack for it. I know this one works as it is what I use.

DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1

My set up below:

DefaultMagazines = ["ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemPainkiller","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD"];
DefaultWeapons = ["ItemFlashlight","ItemMap","ItemToolbox","M9SD"];
DefaultBackpack = "DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1";

Try using this backpack for it. I know this one works as it is what I use.

DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1

My set up below:

DefaultMagazines = ["ItemBandage","ItemBandage","ItemPainkiller","15Rnd_9x19_M9SD"];
DefaultWeapons = ["ItemFlashlight","ItemMap","ItemToolbox","M9SD"];
DefaultBackpack = "DZ_ALICE_Pack_EP1";