Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Playing in a 16x16 with only 4 servers (theory!) for Solo/Small Groups

Ryan Pennington

So forum user BLACK mentioned a feature request here and thought I'd expand on the theory that it could work on our setup. Let's discuss!

This would require that your entire group is online ONLY in the 4 grid servers that are currently online. If you have people in a grid server you are kicking them off then obviously you would not want to do that. This is ideal for solo or groups that travel together. Ducks fly together!

Let's say you have 4 servers:

123.123.123.123:27015

234.234.234.234:28015

345.345.345.345:29015

456.456.456.456:30015

You would get a very large ServerGrid.json with 16x16 grid. You set each of the grids to one of those IP:ports above so that none of the same IP:port are touching each other. Example:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rqgYim7ALxp1vF0Z5jB-SI8CBX-xLbRdCrL4tH_nt4s/edit?usp=sharing

Top columns are gridX values, A = 0, B = 1, etc

Left columns are gridY values

Duplicate this spreadsheet and create your own with your 4 IP/Ports in your 16x16 ServerGrid.json

Next step would be to edit out every single server object according to the spreadsheet above (using the correct ports) on your ServerGrid.json

"MachineIdTag": "SS_<x><y>",
"ip": "<ip>",
"name": "",
"port": <port+1>,
"gamePort": <port>,
"seamlessDataPort": <port+2>

Fill in your (if you want) according to the associated gridX, gridY

Fill in your with the IP from the spreadsheet above according to the matching row

Fill in your name based on the name of the grid you want (optional)

Fill in your port values with accurate port values (important for proper connection)

You would need to make sure you upload the ServerGrid.json to all using the ServerGrid.json and ServerGrid map tiles as a .zip using our control panel. Make sure you check the Skip Save Config in order for our system to NOT overwrite your ip/ports in your new ServerGrid.json. If you are confused, here's the three relevant sections on our control panel for your interest:

uXJTHnR.png

Modify Grid X and Grid Y on demand (prior to crossing to the next grid!)

When you want to venture into a new grid, use your handy spreadsheet and spin up a game server in the target grid!

1. Identify the target grid position you are going to and get the game server ID (one of your 4)
  2. Go to the control panel page for that game server ID
  3. Set the Grid X, Grid Y on the control panel according to the target X/Y based on your spreadsheet
  4. Check the Skip Save Config checkbox in order to prevent your customized ServerGrid.json from getting over-written
  5. Click the Save & Restart button
  6. Wait for the server to be Ready and the red lines to be removed
  7. Sail on over!

Be warned: Follow this guide at your own risk.

I assume the SavedArks would be fine since it will name your .atlas file based on the grid position

I also assume that the Redis data would accurately save your player position in the correct grid..

Looking forward to see how people mess with this and make this method even better  8-)

This would be cool if it were automated but to have to go in and switch the server manually before moving your ship over would not be ideal for us. 

There's no easy way to automate that process without making a dedicated control set. It is possible given enough demand.

I honestly would like to do a 4x4 map. 16x16 map is very large and probably too big for my group. Honestly I'd up my server plan to 8 (I do 6 now) if I could get that to work with a 4x4 map using an automated method of turning those on and off that are not populated. I would even advertise how and where I got that working and right now my mod is currently doing pretty well (243 subscribers) and about to do even better once I do my next update which will add many things that are currently individual mods (sails and dinos being added in the next day or so). I'll fly your banner if you can get this to work and implemented. :)

I have been thinking for a while that eventually someone would figure out how to play on the full map with only a few servers running. That link that Black shared had a video of a guy who made a tool to do just that. I'll post it here for those who haven't seen it:

If there was a tool like this built in to Survival Servers where I could rent 5 servers and have it automatically switch and/or be able to quickly and easily turn servers on and off, depending on where I'm headed that day, I would be all over that like white on rice.

There's really no way to make it automatically switch gridX/gridY when getting close to the border, even the tool that they posted isn't automatically switching and requires manual work.

The method I posted really doesn't take that much effort. On a two monitor setup you have game on one and the other monitor have our control panel open (or use your smartphone) and just change the grid X, grid Y, check the Skip Save Config box, and restart. Voila

There's really no way to make it automatically switch gridX/gridY when getting close to the border, even the tool that they posted isn't automatically switching and requires manual work.

The method I posted really doesn't take that much effort. On a two monitor setup you have game on one and the other monitor have our control panel open (or use your smartphone) and just change the grid X, grid Y, check the Skip Save Config box, and restart. Voila

You're right, it really isn't that hard, but I have like 10 people who would be texting me at all hours asking to switch the servers, lol. I'll wait for some better tech or another option.. In the meantime some server discounts would be nice. I really want a 3x3 map, but already have my wife looking at me crazy for asking for 6.