Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Dynamic Server Switching

emomobile

Just a thought I had. Not sure if it is possible, or will be possible in the future, but for a solo player or a small group, this would be really cool. What if you could play on a big map, 4x4 or larger, but only have the square you are in, and maybe the next squares over on all sides (for a total of 5) were running at any given time. When you move to a new square, it spins up the new adjacent servers and shuts down the old ones you just left, if that makes sense. That way you could have that epic world scale without paying hundreds of dollars a month for a ton of servers. Maybe someone smarter than me could figure that out.

This is impossible with their current architecture. I get what you are saying but what they have done here is very bare metal and less "cloud" than that. I don't even think they will be able to change what they have here very much. What they have right now is probably the limits of Unreal Engine until they figure out some better way to seamlessly scale servers.

I'd love to have a more fluid border that isn't a giant wall without any visibility on the other side and the ability to see beyond the "wall" as to what is on the other side. It will be interesting to see what they can do with the current limitations.