Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Non Square Grids cause server to go into "debug"

Cylogenix

As I'm setting up a Grid of servers for a friend, He bought 5 servers. Now thinking that each region is just a single server, one would think that you can have non-square grids linked by the region boundaries.

Linking all 5 servers together instead causes the home server to go into what I think is debug mode and this is shown in the ATLAS like:

https://prnt.sc/m1bke7

Is there a strict square grid formation (such as 2x2 or 3x3 or 4x4) or can I Indeed set up a 2x2+1 grid?

A solution doesnt come to my mind, i've been trashing around with the map editor and i cant find an option to make non square maps, so i think the only thing you could do with 5 servers is use a bigger square grid, like a 3x3 and then use the grids you want, for example [0,0][0,1][0,2][1,0][1,1] or whatever u see fit.

After thinking about this (im a software engineer by trade). There is more of a mathematical reason I suspect as to why a 2x2 +1 doesnt work currently. Since each region links its boundaries to its neighbouring region. Having a single additional region on one end of your grid introduces wrapping issues.

https://prnt.sc/m1may8

here is the current setup and intention for the grid my friend is hosting. Green is current, the blue is A3. the red is the missing.

Now if I add A3, the left and right boundaries link becomes "broken". You cant wrap around to the same region (though there is no technical reason why not). You also have the case where there is no server to actually link to for the left and right since it doesnt exist. If you notice when you run a single region grid, ALL boundaries are impassable.

The Bottom boundary of A3 can "legaly" wrap to A1 because its an existing server and also satisfies  one of the regions for a 3x3.

This whole constraint on grid sizes is daft though. You can easily solve this problem to how Second Life managed its "Sims" by optionally making 0-4 boundaries impassable.

Though with ATLAS being an ALPHA stage development still, I hope the devs actually overcome this design flaw.

As it stands there is nothing in the config file to suggest which boundary goes to which neighbouring region. The servers implicitly solve what N E S W boundary goes where.

We don't have a 3x3 template setup so it is the 4x4 right now (so if you have 5-16 servers they are all sharing the 4x4 grid)

I wonder if it would make any difference with a proper 3x3 with only 5 servers per your example.