Photo

How to get a more detailed server description?

server description help custom launch parameters character limitation limited

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Derpito92

Derpito92

Gamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

I am new to running Rust server and need some help.

The "custom launch parameters line" is limited to 256 characters I believe, but adding header image, seed number and seed size takes up most of that limit. How can I add a custom server description without having to worry about the 255 characters limit? I want to describe the server in more details. Is there like a file or something I can upload? Please guide me. Thanks in advance.

#2 Pat

Pat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Via FTP you can create a 'serverauto.cfg' in the /server/experimental/cfg/ directory.

In there you can set your description, seed, etc.

Each would have to be on it's own new line as so:

server.description 'My Awesome Rust Server'
server.headerimage 'http://imgur.com/somepng.png'
server.seed 1337
server.worldsize 2500

Staff

#3 Derpito92

Derpito92

Gamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:08 AM

Via FTP you can create a 'serverauto.cfg' in the /server/experimental/cfg/ directory.

In there you can set your description, seed, etc.

Each would have to be on it's own new line as so:

server.description 'My Awesome Rust Server'
server.headerimage 'http://imgur.com/somepng.png'
server.seed 1337
server.worldsize 2500

Awesome, thanks! They kind of worked. I actually had to make a "server.cfg" file and place it in /server/experimental/cfg/ directory, because "server.writecfg" in Rusty deletes the modifications that I made to the original file (serverauto.cfg). It looks like everything is working the way I did it as well. Description, Image, PVE true and rcon.web 0 is also working. I did not add the server.worldsize and server.seed codes into the file because I change it every month and also the control panel requires a value.

Is there a list of all the other codes into the server.cfg file? Thus far I have added the decay.scale 0.2 and heli.lifetimeminutes 10. I was wondering if there is a way I can alter env.daylength from 45 to 50/55 and env.nightlength 10/5, but they don't seem to work?

#4 VTAC

VTAC

Gamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

Just out of curiosity? Did you get the server.headerimage working? For some reason that seems to be the only thing I can’t get working? Uploaded to my website. Made it 512x256 and png but no luck?

#5 Derpito92

Derpito92

Gamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

Just out of curiosity? Did you get the server.headerimage working? For some reason that seems to be the only thing I can’t get working? Uploaded to my website. Made it 512x256 and png but no luck?

Yes I got it to work. Use " instead of '

• Pat likes this

#6 Pat

Pat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

You can check here: https://developer.va...ion_.26_running

From what I've read, env.daylength/env.nightlength are bugged/not working but a plugin can assist with that.

Staff

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: server, description, help, custom, launch, parameters, character, limitation, limited

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users