Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

I got a question about capacity

hoenens

Hello guys,

Well first of all, i am happy with the server so far even i had 2 somehow restart it 2 times in 3 days because people where getting a black screen when they tried to connect to the server, hope you guys will fix this?

But, my question loud like this: If i increase the capacity of currently 30 to 40, will the bandwidth also be increased so the server can handle more people without becoming more laggy? Because when there are 20 peeps on the server, all runs fine. When there are 25, it become a bit liggy, 30 is lagg every 50 to 10 seconds. 

I ask this because i want to increase the server from 30 to 40.

Grts

The lag is usually not bandwidth these days. as you have noticed more people joining causes more lag. 
This is because The way the server software works. In its most basic form The server holds all the data for the world and feeds it out as needed.
An example would be, when you build a foundation the sever stores it. The server knows what materials it is made of and where it is located in the world. This data is then sent to your client program and it puts it on your screen. Now when you build a base it has to do this for every item in the base. All the while it is calculating your location and making sure you can see everything within and area around you wile ensuring that you do not run through a wall or fall through a floor. This is a lot of calculation and data moving around in the software. Now it also has to do this for ever single person that logs in. the software can only move data so fast. when the server start it get backed up and this are not happening instantly you notice lag, and rubberbanding. 

Battle Eye is also a cause for a lot of lag at the moment too because it has to intercept all data moving both way and decide if it has been tampered with by "hacks" 

This is a simplified version but maybe you get the idea. 
Not to take away form SS making a few extra dollars but upping server slots will not help the lag issue. As a matter of a fact the Official server s have decreased their server slots until they can "optimize" the code and make the server software more more data in less time.

I hope this help you understand a little bit. 
I think SS would agree that they would rather see you happy with a 20 slot sever rather than pissed off with a 40 slot. 
A happy customer will continue to use their service and a mad one will just give up an leave. 

Hello guys,

Well first of all, i am happy with the server so far even i had 2 somehow restart it 2 times in 3 days because people where getting a black screen when they tried to connect to the server, hope you guys will fix this?

(snipped)

Grts

I think that was on the game end and not the server host and the patch today is supposed to address it. The little I have logged on today, it does seem better.

I think SS would agree that they would rather see you happy with a 20 slot sever rather than pissed off with a 40 slot. 

A happy customer will continue to use their service and a mad one will just give up an leave. 

100% this