Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

strange problem when using an old game save

triggr420

Hi,

I wanted to keep my previous mp game save and use it on my server. In the saves > random gen folder on the server is a folder named 25846, which im guessing is the game save which is generated when the server was set up. 

First off I tried placing my game save in the saves > random gen folder and deleted the 25846 folder. When I went to play on the server though my game save did not load, instead it was a fresh world and character.

Confused, I browsed back to the saves > random gen folder to find the 25846 folder was back, alongside my game save. I deleted it multiple times but it always comes back.

Next I tried leaving the 25846 folder there, but deleted the entire contents, replacing it with the entire contents of my game save file.

Now that worked, and it loaded up my older game save. However there is a problem which I can only describe as "both game saves have merged" somehow. When running about in my game save there is another landscape almost overlaying my game saves landscape. Going near this rogue landscape make it disappear, however retreating again regenerates it. 

Has anyone experienced this or managed to successfully load there own game save onto the server? 

I hope my description of the problem isn't too vague. I can post screenshots aswell if needed

Thanks

Ok after reading back on my post it doesn't make too much sense, so I have some screenshots to post to explain it better.

1DVtE6C.png

Ok, so that is the game save which came with the server, I have tried deleting it many times but it re appears.

1DVtE6C.png

Heres my own game save alongside it, now if I launch the game and go into my server it still loads the fresh world, which im assuming is 25846.

Again if I delete 25846 it will just reappear

• 2 weeks later...

If the old save game was an Alpha 14 game, this is happening because old saved games are not compatible between A14 and 15. The terrain generation has changed the way it works in Random Gen 3.0. By trying to use an old A14 save, you are forcing the old and new terrain together. TFP's release notes even state you must start a new game. This is what it sounds like to me, and is a known issue.

• 3 weeks later...
This is a side effect of the problem I mentioned on the following thread:

It is because each time the server is updated or restarted by interface, the seed (the seed is the "Game Name" of the file "serverconfig.xml" and also your seed) is reset to its default server value (those numbers).

The seed shapes your map, so if you place your savegame inside a new seed, you will see weird things on the unexplored chunks, like giant walls and such, which is unlikely.

So, if you want to use your personal seed, try that:

Copy your savegame, stop the server and modify the "Game Name" variable of the file "serverconfig.xml" to the name of your savegame and then start the server. Don't use the Control Panel if you want to change any value and use the file serverconfig.xml instead. Repeat this procedure whenever you need to use the control panel other than start/stop/restart the server and make a backup of serverconfig.xml as it will help you to recover your customized settings quickly.

Like WretchedDollie, I don't recommend that you use the same savegame of older major versions, although minor versions may work but not guaranteed. You will need to wipe the server sometimes (by deleting the folder with the name of the seed).

Good luck.