Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Server Crashes Since 246?

mjr819

Since updating to the latest major patch, my server has been sporadically crashing.  Thought I had tracked it down to a particular spot on Shigo Islands, so we switched maps to the Center.  Also, wiped the server including mods and reinstalled everything.  But, just a few minutes ago the server crashed again.  There is no rhyme or reason for it that I can see.  I am running modded with Annunaki Genesys, Dragon Gods, Indominus Rex Nemesis, Structures Plus, Platforms Plus, Death Helper, Scorched Earth Tabula Rasa, Improved Spyglass, Reusable Plus, Resource Stacker, Pimp My Dino, Fog Remover, Stargates, Bridges,  and Kibble Vending Machine.  I have also noticed that some of the INI files in the WindowsServer folder are blank.  Everyone except game and gamusersettings.  I tried copying the pristine ones I downloaded originally, but they get overwritten and erased again.

I was just wondering if anyone else is running into issues?  Any issues with any of the mods I listed? Support ticket put in but figured maybe someone else out here has run into this and could shed some light on it.

Our server is having this problem also. It's gotten to the point where I cannot logout the admin page all day long because of how often I have to reboot the server. We had Annunaki Genesis, and removed it. That did lower the frequency of crashes, before we removed Annunaki, we were crashing on average about every 15 minutes, and now it's removed we are crashing about every 3 hours. In addition, there are certain places on the ARK map that crash us every time we go there, seems to be related to beaver ponds, so we're avoiding those areas on the map right now.

I think most of this is our remaining mods as well. Some of it seems to be related to a lot of the new meshes and texture updates from Wildcard, and the mismatch between the new default ones and the ones used in the older assets in our mods.

There's a lot of rumor and hate-mongering going around that Wildcard deliberately "did this" to "punish" the mod developers for protesting too much about the DLC release. Seems kinda stupid to me and unlikely. However, we are going to suffer through this a lot unless we are willing to give up our mods, because I've been told it will take at least a couple weeks or more before Wildcard will release the newest dev kits for the mod authors to fix the problems.

If it helps any of us to compare mod lists, the ones I share with mjr819 are Structures Plus, Platforms Plus, and Stargates. We have many mods actually, but those are the only ones we have in common between us. Our full mod list is Dino Colors Plus (rumored to be the cause of the beaver crashes?),  Ark Steampunk, Ark Advance 10, Ark Advance Supply Drops, Stargate Atlantis, sweetRafts, Structures Plus, Platforms Plus, Pillars Plus, Snappy Saddles, Redwoods Anywhere, ResurrectedSmithy+Storage, Medieval Structures, ecoTrees, Paint Mixer, Deconstruction Workbench, Kilrath's Meat Spoiler, Jetpack Mod, Homing Pigeon, Extra Ark 2.0, Pet Finder, Auto Fire Igniter, StackMeMore.

So look at that! That's a LOT of mods. To remove Dino Colors we would lose all our tamed dinos. (went through that once, my users would shoot me if I put them through it again). To lose any of the building mods would lose their bases they spent months creating.

So here's our philosophy. We knew the job was dangerous when we took it. We know we will lose game time and have a lot of crashes when there are patches. We only have 3 months til the game is "officially launched" and supposedly a lot more stable. So we figure, patience and keeping abreast of the updates from the mod developers and knowing that it's not entirely their fault they don't have the dev kits yet and we will just weather through it. Now we got past the every 15 minute crash with Annunaki Genesis, it's livable ----not pleasant, but livable.

I have an update of info that might help! It turns out that every time our server crashes, it's because someone gets close to a beaver pond. None of our members own beavers yet since we lost all tames removing Annunaki Genesis, so for us the only place we see beavers are in the ponds. It doesn't matter where anyone else is on the server, if a single person goes over a beaver pond, the entire server crashes. Dino Colors Plus mod authors are not sure if it's only people with their mod, or everyone having this problem, but we have isolated that it's only happening to folk with the center map. Several people posted that they removed all beaver spawns termporarily, and their crashes stopped. I don't know if this helps anyone else, and I really hope whatever it is gets fixed with the next expected patch.

I am also experiencing frequent crashes.  Center map.  

This is a new server (less than a week old) as I moved here from a different host.  The 246 update happened as I was leaving the other server and shortly before I started here, so I am not sure of the precise connection.  I am using the same mods here as on the old server.  (I didn't have crashes there.  There were other issues.)  

I have experienced 3 crashes in two days, starting yesterday (09/11).  So far, they have only happened when I personally have been online, which is notable because I am currently the only one of the 4 current users who has flown over the center itself.  The crashes always happened while I was flying a Pteranodon, twice while traveling through the center, once on the shore of the north jungle island.  I was not over a beaver at any time.

The mods I have in common with those who have listed them are Structures Plus, Platforms Plus, Reusable Plus, Auto Fire Igniter, Extra Ark 2.0, and Birdges.  I also use Dynamic Color Mod.

Currently I am experiencing repeated crashes.  After the most recent one a short time ago, when I restart and join, it seems to immediately crash.  My character is somewhere on the floating island, by one of the rivers flowing out.in the center of The Center map, in the middle of the center.  When I join, nothing is moving, all items gone, cannot open inventory, etc.

Edit: Confirmed server crashes immediately upon my login, where my character is stuck in the midst of the center island.  Deleted character files.  Created new character on south tropical.  Destroyed all wild dinos and was disconnected, but that seems to happen regardless.  Was able to reconnect.

Restored previous character.  Crashed again.  Seems related to where I am, though as mentioned, a previous crash happened while on the shore of north jungle.  Only creatures I can see are argys, pteranodon (mine), scorpions, and dimorphs but I'm sure there is other stuff. 

Edit again:  I forgot there's is a beaver pond inside the center island.  I'm not using Annunaki Genesys but am using that color mod, which may be causing problems.  I restored everything to the state it was in prior to my logging on today.  Flew immediately to the center, flew out, then back in again.  When I flew back in, server crashed and now crashes whenever I login.  

I'll just post another message rather than add to that novel.  My apologies for using the forum as my personal troubleshooting log with all its apparent contradictions and false leads.  I'll leave it in case someone may find it useful.  

TL;DR - I disabled the Dynamic Color mod, and I have not been able to produce a crash.  I suspect anything that affects the beaver appearance will do this, and I note others in this thread have mentioned using mods that alter dino appearance.  Testing has not been extensive, but I need to go to bed, so this is where I'm at.

Longer chain of events:

There's definitely something weird going on with the beavers,  

After the update to 247, I reset the ark to its state when I first began this odyssey around 5pm today, 09/12.  I grabbed my bird and flew to the nearest beaver pond.  Immediate crash.  I could go anywhere as long as there were no beavers, but the instant I was within rendering distance of dinos around one of these ponds, I'd crash.  I didn't always see a beaver, but I assume they were there.  I eventually went to four separate ones, including in the center island.  Crashed each time.

Next, I disabled beaver spawns, destroyed all wild dinos, waited five minutes or so, then flew to a beaver pond.  Immediate crash.  I flew low and circle around waiting to be kicked off and saw no beavers.  I concluded at the time the issue either wasn't beavers or that I had a syntax error in the code to prevent them spawning.  I checked it, didn't notice a problem, and so decided to try again just moving the line to the very end of game.ini rather than in the middle somewhere.

Destroyed all wild dinos again and flew to a beaver pond, at which point I saw something really weird.  I barely saw four or five beavers *rapidly* exiting the area of the pond by sliding across the ground.  No movement animation, just really quickly leaving.  It was bizarre looking.  About the time they were out of sight, the server crashed.  Keep in mind this happened with beaver spawns disabled using the "DinoSpawnWeightMultipliers=" ini setting and immediately after a wild dino wipe.

For whatever reason, it suddenly occurred to me to disable Dynamic Color mod.  So, I did and at the same time enabled beaver spawns again.  I, restarted, expecting all my tames to be gone, but only most of them were, including my birds.  What was left were dinos that seemed to have no altered coloring from the color mod.  I *think* all those that survived I had tamed after the update to 246.71. 

I am currently hovering over a beaver pond watching an alpha raptor trying to kill all the beavers in it, but I'm not crashing.  Hovering over two other ponds, no crash.  Want to end the day on a positive note, so I'm not going to the center island yet.

Many thanks to the person who pointed to beaver ponds initially.  I wouldn't have thought of that so quickly.

seems regardless what we do, the scorch map crashes. incl what i recom'd be done in this post https://www.survivalservers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3505-ark-crash-help-please/

seems the only map so far w/o this problem is the island, we're about to try the center now. see how stable it is or isn't

i'm an admin, not the main acc't holder tho, feel free to msg for server info if needed.

Great post here which relates to Annunaki, Dino Colors, and maybe some other mods. Beavers/Titanos are causing issues due to the ARK dev kit not being updated for the mod developer to fix this issues (crashing)

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/538986229/343785574528521111/

Great post here which relates to Annunaki, Dino Colors, and maybe some other mods. Beavers/Titanos are causing issues due to the ARK dev kit not being updated for the mod developer to fix this issues (crashing)

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/538986229/343785574528521111/

ty Ryan, we moved to the island till the kit's updated. after doing the steps to do a clean install. also found an issue (not server related) with Ark Commander from www.Sparcmx.com. it causes game lag when using it. most notably with voice, wonder if this might be causing some of the problems as well.

Two

Do we have a fix for this yet? My server began to experience this yesterday and destroying all wild beavers and blocking new spawns seems to have temporarily put a stop to it.