Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

What's the deal with Server FPS/Lag?

bighomie

I paid for a 32 person server, we've had at most 4 people on the server.  What's the deal with the server fps?  When we started out we were at a solid 60, this has just continually dropped.  Are these servers undersized or not powerful enough?  Same thing about the lag and rubberbanding I'd expect it to be basically buttery smooth based on our size vs what I paid for.

Ryan, our server FPS ranges from 8 - 15 just an FYI. Already have a ticket in about my server crashing and then refusing to start back up. Tried every possible fix. Really need this fixed ASAP. Already had several people leave my server and move to a different provider.

7 hours ago, Ryan Pennington said:

We are able to look at these on a case by case basis, please submit a support ticket so we can diagnose and fix.

Server FPS in the 20-30 will have no negligible performance on gameplay from our benchmarking. We will likely add a premium FPS feature for the future once things settle down a bit - but we do have options like moving machines in the mean time.

I'm confused.   The server started at 60 FPS, so this seems like it's something related to the resourcing I've been alotted.  I've had at most 4 people online at a given time.  Why can't a 32 player server keep up with 60 fps at 4 players?  Did me purchasing a 32 player server not mean I got more hardware dedicated, but instead you are "scaling to meet demand" on your servers where you think 20 fps is acceptable and thus your target?

8 hours ago, Ryan Pennington said:

We are able to look at these on a case by case basis, please submit a support ticket so we can diagnose and fix.

Server FPS in the 20-30 will have no negligible performance on gameplay from our benchmarking. We will likely add a premium FPS feature for the future once things settle down a bit - but we do have options like moving machines in the mean time.

That's nice but maybe you need to do more benchmarking because at 20, which I am lucky to get out of my server, I rubberband back every time I dodge and get hit by everything thrown at me still. Also paying full price for a 32 person server and it struggled with 4-6 people is impressive in all the wrong ways. Even now when I go onto it solo my server fps is like 15-25 and I just rubberband BY MYSELF.

They very clearly give the server 8gb of RAM.  This is the bare minimum and I haven't seen it actually scale with a higher tier/slot count.  You can try to accommodate the low specs by reducing the amount of items allowed to spawn on the ground.. but you shouldn't NEED to if the server was spun up with an adequate amount of RAM.  I'm seeing roughly 3gb is needed per player to ensure a stable and playable experience.  I moved hosts because this is ridiculous.

44 minutes ago, Antimatter said:

They very clearly give the server 8gb of RAM.  This is the bare minimum and I haven't seen it actually scale with a higher tier/slot count.  You can try to accommodate the low specs by reducing the amount of items allowed to spawn on the ground.. but you shouldn't NEED to if the server was spun up with an adequate amount of RAM.  I'm seeing roughly 3gb is needed per player to ensure a stable and playable experience.  I moved hosts because this is ridiculous.

Where did you end up landing?  Looking for better experiences 

12 hours ago, Antimatter said:

We currently do not limit the ram or cpu usage like many other host. If your server is showing 8gb of ram that is what your server is requiring at that time. If you still see any issues we are happy to assist in getting problems fixed up in a ticket.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:09 AM, Antimatter said:

This is just flat out wrong, we have no imposed limitations. Please do not spread misinformation.

In fact, there is a memory leak causing up to 20gb of ram usage when servers are left on and we still have adequate ram coverage on all of our machines. Not a lot of hosts can say that.

Hello,

I've sent over a ticket only to receive information that you are migrating servers to a higher performing system with no certainty on the dates.

I purchased the 32 slots only to quickly get 100 ping initially to a whopping 300 before the ip host change, now reaching almost 500. This is insane.

And even worse, this morning my server cannot be entered by more than 4 people because the 5th guy will always be stuck in a loading loop.

So what to do now? I've got more than 20 people on my server and people are leaving one by one because the server gets worse every single day.

solaggy.png

Yeah my server FPS dropped significantly when more than two people are on from 60 to about 20 and the lag is incredibly bad.  I have an 8 person server currently.

• 3 weeks later...

So I don't know how this server is, as I just moved here, but I can tell you this is not a SurvivalSevers issues but a known game issue. I had this issue on another host, started at 60 then went into the 20's.