Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Is DifficultyOffset really working?

Although I've set the DifficultyOffset=1 (which I heard is the highest you can get), I'm still getting lvl 30 max dinos, but it was supposed to boost the dinos (at least some to 90+) and the players are complaining that the server is just too easy. 

So my question is: if the max offset is really 1, is there any way to further increase the difficulty? 

Do you have it under a header called [server Settings] in your GameUserSettings.ini file?  I set mine to .429 and that increased the dino level to level 60 on the next reboot.  Setting yours to 1 should max it out.

Do you have it under a header called [server Settings] in your GameUserSettings.ini file?  I set mine to .429 and that increased the dino level to level 60 on the next reboot.  Setting yours to 1 should max it out.

My custom launch parameters look like this:

........AltSaveDirectoryName=SavedArk8020?AllowThirdPersonPlayer=true?ServerPVE=true?XPMultiplier=1?TamingSpeedMultiplier=2?HarvestAmountMultiplier=3?ServerCrosshair=true?DisableStructureDecayPVE=True?PreventDownloadItems=True?
DifficultyOffset=1?NoTributeDownloads=True?ShowMapPlayerLocation=True

If I'm not doing anything wrong it should be spawning lvl 90+ dinos but all I'm finding is lvl 30 max

It may be working. Head to the north edge of the map and up into the moutains where everything spawns. Look up  there for higher level dinos, it will take a while for higher level things to trickle down to the other coasts. It was a good 2ish days real time before I started seeing 60+ dinos on the south coast. Refer to : https://www.survivalservers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1832-how-do-i-make-server-difficulty-changes-stick/ for what I did to my server. So far my players have seen as high as level 120 on the server

It may be working. Head to the north edge of the map and up into the moutains where everything spawns. Look up  there for higher level dinos, it will take a while for higher level things to trickle down to the other coasts. It was a good 2ish days real time before I started seeing 60+ dinos on the south coast. Refer to : https://www.survivalservers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1832-how-do-i-make-server-difficulty-changes-stick/ for what I did to my server. So far my players have seen as high as level 120 on the server

My base is around the far north part of the map and I made those changes 3 to 4 days ago. The thing is: before I set the DifficultyOffset to 1, every dino was around 1-10 level but now I'm seeing like 30 tops so I wonder if that change happens slowly or is there any way to put the difficulty above 1 (2 or 3 maybe?)

sorry the bad english, hope you can understand

I have mine set to 1 and run into level 100+ regularly.   As far as I know the difficulty offset only changes the max level of wild dinos and nothing else.  

And I see 70+'s right after an update as it is completely random.

EDIT:  I do all my settings via INI and not command line.

I was having the same problem with difficultyoffset of 1.0. After doing some digging, I found that a lot of people were actually getting the dino levels up by using a diffcultyoffset of 3. I changed mine to 3 and that is exactly what worked. When you change the offset, you might want to use the "cheat destroyall XXX_Character_BP_C" commands for each type of dino. This will kill them all off and when they spawn back in, they should be higher levels.

I was having the same problem with difficultyoffset of 1.0. After doing some digging, I found that a lot of people were actually getting the dino levels up by using a diffcultyoffset of 3. I changed mine to 3 and that is exactly what worked. When you change the offset, you might want to use the "cheat destroyall XXX_Character_BP_C" commands for each type of dino. This will kill them all off and when they spawn back in, they should be higher levels.

I'll try that right away, thanks! I'll let you know what happens :)

edit: That command line to destroy dinos won't destroy tamed dinos, right?

I'll try that right away, thanks! I'll let you know what happens :)

edit: That command line to destroy dinos won't destroy tamed dinos, right?

That command line will destroy all dinos on the server of that type. Tamed and untamed.

That command line will destroy all dinos on the server of that type. Tamed and untamed.

I've just waited patiently for the carnivores to eat the herbivores, and then the high level herbivores that spawned killed the low level carnivores, and so on... so it just takes a little patience for nature to do its work :P

Just a quick update. The infos on most websites says that the range for difficultyoffset is 0-1 but is actually 1-3 (thanks samsso).

Also, for the change to be effective you'll have to change GameUserSettings.ini via FTP, as changing the difficultyoffset via custom launch parameters won't do anything.

Thank you @formidavel!

I have corrected the DifficultyOffset documentation in the Custom Launch Parameter info text box.

Additionally, I've added it here to the new Modify Config feature. ;)

ORpXfsP.png

Great news. Just saw the new pannel, well done

I have mine set to 1 and I get level 120 wild dinos.  So I think max is still 1 and it is just somewhere between 0 and 1 that determines the difficulty with 1 being 4x harder.   

I have mine set to 1 and I get level 120 wild dinos.  So I think max is still 1 and it is just somewhere between 0 and 1 that determines the difficulty with 1 being 4x harder.   

This is correct. Mine is set to .5 in the .ini and I get max level 67 spawns. It goes from 0 to 1 but the devs keep calling them difficulty 1 through 4.

It was quoted in one of the patch notes awhile back that the 1 - 3 version only applied to official servers. So I have always been confused on this one since the devs have not answered the question directly.

This is correct. Mine is set to .5 in the .ini and I get max level 67 spawns. It goes from 0 to 1 but the devs keep calling them difficulty 1 through 4.

Thank you very much for that. I think this confirms that 0 to 1 with decimal acceptable is the key. I will be changing the select drop-down to an input box.

Mine was set to 3 and I was getting 120 lvl dinos, so I tried to set the difficulty to 4 and the 100+ dinos became very rare to find. Then I tried to set it to 1 and wasn't getting high level dinos. Now I've set it to 3 again and lvl 100+ dinos are spawning more often and it's all good...

So yeah, I'm very confused about the difficultyoffset, but 3 is working fine for me.