Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

noob need help

This is kind of a lot, but I hope this helps.

FTP - File Transfer Protocol, which gives you the ability to transfer files from your PC to a server (in this case, your ARK server) and vice versa.

Personally, I have used FileZilla for years since it's free. (https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client  Link goes directly to client download)

If you're not familiar with FTP programs (I know you're not, but others may read this), it might look pretty confusing but we'll keep it simple and get you to 'Quickconnect' to your server..  At the top where it asks for "Host:" you will put in the IP listed in the "FTP Details" section of your ARK Control Panel.  Same for "Username:" and "Password:" (it's not recommended to copy/paste passwords because often times spaces are accidentally copied and you won't connect).  For "Port:" you can leave blank since the default port is recognized as 21.  However, just in case, you can still put 21 in there.  Click 'Quickconnect' and you'll see a bunch of lines fly by with "Status" next to it and you'll know you're connected when it tells you "Directory listing of "/" successful".  I haven't been able to connect to my new ARK server, so it may list a different folder name.

Below the "Status" box are two split screens.  On the left, you have "Local site:" which shows the files from your PC that you can browse through.  On the right, you have "Remote site:" which shows the directory/files for your ARK server that you can also browse through.  Below that is a big empty white space with the first square saying "Server/Local file" and three tabs below "Queued files", "Failed transfers", and "Successful transfers" ... this is where any files you want to transfer will show up.  Before you do anything, ensure the "REMOTE SITE:" folder location shows where you would like to transfer your files to the server.  If you need to transfer SERVER files to your PC, make sure the  "LOCAL SITE" folder location set.  Otherwise, like I have done too many times, you will accidentally transfer files to the completely wrong location.

For transferring, select the file(s) you need to transfer, right click, and click "Add Files To Queue".  You'll see all the files in the queue, but nothing has started yet.  Right click the first file in the queue and select "Process Queue".  Transfer time is dependent on file size and whatever your ISP's given upload speed is.  There is also a button at the top that has a green arrow pointing down -- this will also start processing the queue.  Clicking the green arrow again will stop the queue.  If you have any files that fail to transfer, the "Failed transfers" tab will have a number indicating how many.  Click the tab to view which files and re-queue them.

There's a lot more to this, but this is pretty much the basics.  If something wasn't clear or if you have a question, feel free to ask.  I or someone with better knowledge can help.