Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Server Transfer

dragonfell c

Received an e-mail 3 days ago stating the server was going to be transferred on March 13th at 1pm (PST),  that was a few hours ago , i;m not seeing a new IP address on my server or anything changed , is this happening today? the last thing i want is everyone logging on and then being kicked off and loosing data and items

Got the same email.  I believe it is a window of time that they will be moving/transferring servers from 1:00 pm (pst) up to 7:00 pm (pst).  Anywhere in that time window, Admins can shut down your server and lock it until they transfer is complete.  

Curious to see if there is any noticeable difference in performance as they are suggesting.
 We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you or your player base, but it is necessary to provide a top quality service and keep our technology up-to-date.

My guess is that because the game has gotten so popular that their hosting machines are almost maxed, so they are doing some basic moving so that they can allocate additional hosting servers for Valhiem.  I doubt that there is anything significant improvements that you will see in your game.

Server transfer just happened 30 min ago, a day late for me, and during the process the server is now rolled back to approx 9 hours. I'd like to understand how the server failed to save once all day. Better yet why Survival servers wouldn't force a backup before transferring a game! Last backup was also this morning so the whole day was lost. Not impressed one bit.

Same with me, it only just happened about 3-4 hours ago, a day later than it was supposed to.

All my work on our new plains base from about 8-12 hours ago last night has been rolled back.

Same with me!! Roll was done on Sunday, a complete day of week-end gaming lost... my friend lost his bridge that took 6 hours to build. Backup was done at 10 AM and the server moved latyer this day. He was pissed and me really sorry.

On 3/14/2021 at 3:30 PM, whiteofwayward said:

Server transfer just happened 30 min ago, a day late for me, and during the process the server is now rolled back to approx 9 hours. I'd like to understand how the server failed to save once all day. Better yet why Survival servers wouldn't force a backup before transferring a game! Last backup was also this morning so the whole day was lost. Not impressed one bit.

Did you read the email? It was pretty clear about that. A local save was highly recommended or just plan on not using the server that particular morning before a transfer.

Transfers aren't ever convenient for all people involved. But it has to happen, so we give ample notice and you have access to your files to make local backups. That, or you can simply transfer your self (change locations then change back) to do it on your own time ahead of our transfer.

We have certain dates (which are targets, it's impossible to do it on time 100% of the time, that's why we have backups and FTP and set a target date) to bring the machines down and sometimes they are less than convenient. It's just a part of being in a shared hosting environment. It should not happen frequently but when it does, be prepared and read our emails.