Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Valheim+ Incompatible Version (Potential) Solution

L B

I, like many people kept getting the "Incompatible Version" message when trying to connect to our server after installing valheim+ 0.9 . What solved it for me was after installing Valheim+, going into the Modify Valheim+ Config section in the control panel, and just scrolling down to the bottom to hit save configuration, even if nothing is enabled/changed. I hadn't done this prior as I was just trying to connect to see if it was working before getting into the config, but it might be that there isn't a default config file server side until it's generated from saving the config for the first time in the control panel.

Confirmed and I think this is the majority of our issues. Some client side issues persist I think.

We issued a fix for this in the backend that will generate the valheim_plus.cfg file if it does not exist.

A quick way to check is your running server version, it should show like this:

image.png

You see the @0.9 there indicates it is running and the config file is present.

Doesnt work here. 
Tried saving alone, with and without restarts. Stopping the server and resetting the config. 
Version is same ingame as server details. Fresh install of game and V+ do not correct issue.
Still unplayable.

also had clients do fresh installs of game/v+ to no change.
Server shows v0.146.11 but not the @0.9, as that

I changed them to .old after posting that. As an attempt to save them without deleteing and reinstall v+  on the server.
Your wipe corrected it for about 2 minutes, when we noticed it didnt save any of the v+ config
We resaved the config from the tool, ran a save and restart and are right back to incompatible version.
Ran the config tool again, saved. Stopped the server entirely. Restarted it. Still incompatible.
Redeleted all the client settings. Still incompatible.

---

after server attempts at various fixes, we can connect if we delete the config for v+ in our clients, the server version of the config isnt active (plain to see just by looking at stack size). So its v+ without any of the content of it running... so we cant use it. 😠

57 minutes ago, Ryan Pennington said:

Confirmed and I think this is the majority of our issues. Some client side issues persist I think.

We issued a fix for this in the backend that will generate the valheim_plus.cfg file if it does not exist.

A quick way to check is your running server version, it should show like this:

image.png

You see the @0.9 there indicates it is running and the config file is present.

That interesting currently I have the mod installed on my server but it doesn't register the @0.9. I do have the config files present and the mod works as long as I disable enforceMod. I installed the mod through the control panel not manually.

image.png.4bd50fc17660dccb0c527d874b3044f6.png

53 minutes ago, Outdatedkero said:

We resaved the config from the tool, ran a save and restart and are right back to incompatible version.

You have Enforce Mod Version Check unchecked.

image.png

Basically if you have this unchecked it is removing the @0.9 from the version string which in turn allows non V+ clients to connect. The caveat to this is that your client side valheim_plus.cfg will need to have the enforcemod=false as well (it does not auto sync) which would have to be set to any V+ connecting clients to that server.

So the solution is to either keep it checked and only allow V+ in or manually update every V+ client to have enforcemod=false on their valheim_plus.cfg client-side.

Added a little information to our config tool so that future customers are aware of this limitation.

image.png

We had 6 players yesterday all running with a working server config for v+ without it enforced yesterday, so I doubt that toggle is whats causing people to be incompatible given the server has been wiped twice now by admins, and all clients have purged their installs to fresh versions. The issue didnt start until this mornings update. No one needed to copy the config from ftp.
Even if clients connect with no config preset to get the server copy, if they load in at all V+ isnt active (as noted in my active ticket thats being worked on).

When wiped by admins, and reset leaving only the save we can connect. With our v+ active, however v+ clearly isnt active on the server working as non of the changes in the config file have actually changed anything on the server (stack sizes, or station changes, etc)

----

Admin lock was just lifted again, so removed v+, reinstalling it on the server, and updating the config again to see if that makes any change...
Server just seems to refuse to have the v+ config settings active which is frustrating the hell out of me now, as I've spent the last 3 hours constantly restating, deleting client stuff, or being locked out while admins make changes that still dont fix the issue.