Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Dedicated server - Paused when no one is playing?

fudgepuppy

I started renting a server from Survivalservers, and it's been working great so far.

However, I had to restart the server today to setup the automatic restart config for the correct time, and when I log in I see our smelter still churning out iron. We stopped playing the game last night, so it shouldn't still be going.

Do the dedicated servers pause whenever they're empty?

I believe the server goes into hybernation or idle mode when no players are connected. So settlements shouldn't get attacked and tamed animals shouldn't stave to death. I think. 

But I don't know how long it takes to take effect or if everything is pasued. Maybe smelters still work, haven't tested it. 

I think it was a question about the Valheim decicated software and not specific to survival servers.

There aren't alot of room for iron in a smelter so it might have just started when u loaded into the server.
Or maybe it starts up again after a restart and then foes into idle mode after a little while again.