Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Explanation Servers and Grid

Calito Jack

I do not fully understand the grid function, but i am pretty sure other users have the same problem. I have rented one Atlas server here at survival servers and have already ARK running here too. I was always satisfied with their service, and i am sure a lot of problems are related to the Atlas game itself and the devs and not to survival servers.

I have a couple of questions, that i need answers for. I am very unsure about the grid system.

• When i rented the server i was automatically assigned to grid A1 (very small) with the 3 free ports. Can i ever sail to another grid without renting another Server?
  • I understand that i can change the grids now but if do that will i start as a lvl 1 char and lose all my ships,resources,etc.?
  • If i have to rent 4 servers ( for4 grids?) just to get bigger maps, i have to think about playing this game and the monthly costs. My question to other players is: How did you realize this?

I am thankful for any answers. :-P

1) Nope. One server means one grid. A one grid Atlas map is pretty useless, as there is nowhere to sail to, as that's kind of the point of the game. I would hope that in the future they figure it out so if you have a very small number of slots, like 10, they will have pricing where multiple servers can run on the same hardware, lowering the cost. But as of now, You need at least a 2 x 2 to have any fun, and that's $50/month

2) I asked this same question. Haven't gotten an answer. But as admin, you can use cheats to give yourself XP and all the items you had before.

3) As mentioned above, $50/month is pretty steep, especially for a solo player. If you can split it between a few friends, then it's much more manageable. From my experience, I think a 3 x 3 is the minimum to really get the most out of the game, partly because the epic sea voyages are at the heart of the game, and a 2 x 2 map means about a maximum of 30 minute travel time to anywhere in the world. And partly because there are like 6 or 7 biomes, so you can't have all of them on a 2 x 2 map. I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for something like that tho....

You asked about changing your Grid locations. More than likely Yes, you lose everything. Example I changed my grids from what they started at to my current location. because the islands changed I did lose everything, I thought I would be smart and move myself to a grid that I had changed well that lead to a complete mess (my character I logged in with was fine, but then I zoned and it gave me an old character).. 

Case in point - if you change grids do a save game file clean on each server to avoid any issues. So yes you will lose everything. Best to figure out where you want your servers to be located before starting to build (or just add more servers later if that is an option)

AS for question 4 -- that is why you link with people that are offering to have you join. See my post in the community servers listing