Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Changing parent server

Apologies that my technical understanding of cluster servers is not great.

I started off last December with a single server with the Center map. Later on I decided to add a cluster and now have the Island on the Cluster.

So my understanding is that the parent server hosts the Center and the cluster hosts the Island. If my understanding is correct, is it possible to convert the Island to become the parent server and the Center to become the cluster? If it is possible would it mean a loss of all data?

No world data would be lost if you switched back your parent server. Character data attached to the .arkprofile and .arktribe files in the same folder would need to be newly created each time you switch maps so any associated data in those files would be lost when switching back. The .ark world file still remains.

Alternatively you can restore to a backup (with our control panel tool) with the .arkprofile, arktribe, and .ark file all in one to restore 100% from the previous cluster parent.

It's exactly the same as having a single server, you just have two executables running off of the same directory (one saving to SavedArkXXXX and one saving to SavedArkXXXXTransfer folder)

Ok, sorry this is where i get a little lost, and trying to simplify it in my head.

So currently I have the following:

SavedArkXXXXX (This has the Center on and is the parent server)

SavedArkXXXXXTransfer (This has the Island on it).

So if I backed up the content of those folders (lets say via FTP), then shut down the server, then in the control panel I changed maps, so the parent would have Island and the other would have Center, would it be a case of me then moving the backed up files from SavedArkXXXXXTransfer into the the SavedArkXXXXX folder and vice versa with the other one?

It sounds too simple to me so I fear i'm missing something?