Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Dino's going poof

DOAGEN

I am only posting this here for the newer folks to ARK, and heck maybe some are not aware.

Yes: Your dino's can just randomly go poof. It's a known bug for 1.5yrs that I am aware of.

No, not from starving or dying or by a spawn point. I mean: Randomly. IT's a real bug. Go over to their forums and they are LOADED with posts.

In 24hrs, I have lost 11 Dino's. I had crossed my fingers and hoped it was not real, or server related. It's nothing of that sort.

They have went poof from land, sand, on wood, stone metal, roof, water....list goes on.

I am sharing this so either you have to accept the bug or move on.

My Tribe on another server lost 30+ in one night.

Good news though: I compared the size of the files. Restored from a back of the last, largest size. And animals are back.

Let's see what happens in 24hr. :)

Out of curiosity, are you on The Center? It's the only place I've ever experienced this. From two separate issues.

The first was breeding loads of wyverns together. A triplet pack was very very close to each other at hatching, and then grew up, into each other and the wall (because of where I had them sitting) and then all went poof. This is a known... mmm, issue I guess because it isn't really a bug. Every time baby dinos grow up to the next level the game runs a check to make sure they aren't clipping into things. The same way it does when a dino is created by the server. If clipping, then poof.

The second time was when I decided to get all sneaky and build on the very very edge and the very very bottom of the map on a piece of land on The Center. I flew my prize Wyvern over there with a bunch of building materials, got settled in, started building, logged off... No issues. Started moving my dinos over there, and the minute I had them at the location and left clip range, they went poof. Not sure why. THAT I can definitely label as a bug as they weren't clipping into anything, just at the very edge of the map. Guessing TheCenter has some improperly programmed despawn zones because it isn't truly a proper developed map. But that's just a guess.

Anything similar for you?

Nope, not similar. I have done hours of testing myself and with friends. We would even not move one animal for a week, restore the server and a whole different group go poof. lol. And this has happened on the Island, and Center.

Sucks if you have some high breeds.

I'm getting the same thing and I feel as if it's mod related for my sake.  During the morning to night, server works fine restarting and everything.  Turn off during the night and when restarting in the morning, everything mod related is gone.  The backups don't work and I lose about 8-10 hours of myself and others playtime.  Already sent in quite a few tickets but to no avail.  

They just keep answering me that my saves are backing up and not telling me if it's mod related. 

The poofing Dino's is not MOD related. However, the MOD may be stopping RCON from running to backup. There is another post related to this.