Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Howt to make game changes please help

Xeomagus

Please help! I am a total newbie and I and my friends just aquired a 7days server on this hosting site so we can play together. but I am unsure how to search to find out how to mod the host games setting to drop toolbelt only.. can someone please direct me to a proper tutorial? Ive been searching for two weeks now and our game goes unused because I am apparently inadiquite in figuring out how to find instructions :(

thank you anyone willing to help.

Xeo

Ok I know what needs changing in the config.xml file, I just dont know how to access the FTP to change that and save the file on survivalservers server.

edit: I figured out how to get to thw ftp index page and I can read the files but what do I need to do to edit them?

edit:: Nevermind I figured it out YEAAAA!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

To change FTP settings, it's easiest to download a client like FileZilla. If you are using FileZilla, use the FTP information from the control panel to log in.

1. Right side of it shows server files, left side shows your pc. On the right side, find where you want to put the file you want to work on. You may want to create a file folder.
  2. In the server file window, look for a file that says serverconfig.xml. Double click on it and it will go directly to you pc.
  3. It's good practice to save a backup of the file in case you mess something up. Click on your file explorer and go into the folder where you put the xml file. Right click, select rename, then at the end of the file name add something like "Original" or "Back Up".
  4. Now go back to the FTP client and double click again. Switch back to file explorer and double click the newly added one to make your changes. If you read carefully the information in each setting, it will tell you what to do to make a change. Save the file.
  5. Go back into FTP client and double click the file in the pc window. It will pop up a window that asks what you want to do. Select overwrite file.
  6. Go to your survival server control panel and where it says "Start", "Stop", and "Restart", select "Restart". DO NOT SCROLL DOWN AND USE THE SAVE AND RESTART BUTTON. IT WILL SET IT BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SERVER SETTINGS.

I, too, am a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. I just recently learned how to do this just last week. These instructions may not be exact and are mostly according to the FileZilla client. If you use another client, it may be slightly different. (Like pc files and server files could be switched out or top and bottom instead of left and right.) If you tweak something wrong and the server won't come up for you, just revert back to your back up copy by creating a copy of it, deleting the back up words, and sending it to your client.

Anyways, I hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

I'm using filezilla aswell but I cant edit the xml file. It automaticly opens it in a internet explorer tab. even if I try to right click and edit from inside the server, it auto downloads and only opens like that. Ive placed a ticket but after answering their first question I have not heard back from them.

Do you have any idea why its doing this?