Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

My server just restarted by itself

Hi all,

I own a small 10-player server which I updated today to 240.0.

After updating, I played for a bit and suddenly I got a server notification that the server will restart in 10 minutes. I have not set up any such schedule, nor was I initiating a restart.

Surely enough, after 10 minutes, the server got shut down.

I went into my Control Panel and it didn't load. After a while it loaded and my server was shown as "Stopped". I did not stop it myself. Now it's hopefully starting, although it would probably take a while because I have 14 mods on it. It also looks like the Control Panel page does not respond while the server is starting.

My question is: was there an override from Survival Servers which made my server restart? If so, was there a reason for it? My server's version was already at 240 and the automatic updates were disabled.

How come this wasn't posted to the forums here about the change?  I don't use twitter and ran into this auto restart config change earlier and it caused a lot of issues.  I have since disabled it but for a while I was seriously concerned someone had gotten into my admin account since options were changing that I know were not set by me, etc.  I came to the forum looking for something but didn't see anything.  A better form of notification on something like this is really needed so I'm not scrambling around changing my passwords and freaking out :(

It just seems like something this customer affecting should at least be emailed out, or posted more places.  There was no news posting for it either and expecting every customer to monitor twitter to find out things directly affecting the service they pay for is a bit backwards for a company that has official forums and email form capabilities already setup.  

If this was some back-end change or perhaps an interface modification that didn't actually change or degrade my active service it probably wouldn't be such a big deal, but I found out after the fact when suddenly my users are telling me things are shutting down that I didn't do, and then find out my admin panel has options checked that I never checked, and since computers don't change their settings on their own led me down a nasty road of password changing and security searches thinking my server, or accounts, or worse, was compromised.

I know you guys have a small staff and I've worked at a few companies doing similar things so I definitely understand how a quick fix for performance issues or whatever the reason was can seem simple and not need a big notification to your users, but it doesn't matter if it's just a 'game server' or an web service or whatever, it's still an unexpected outage of service which should be on the same level of importance as my billing, which sent me reminder emails every day for the last few days until it was due.  You guys seem to be pretty active monitoring the forums so I don't see how it would be to much to ask that important outage changes like this be posted here for the many non-twitter people out there.

Major news will be emailed but minor news like changes to server restart times are not worth spamming everyone's emails.

We have Twitter and a News page for all news and our customers are encouraged to check that first.