Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Server Taking a Long Time to Start

The server was good to start with but then I would put a lot of mods and a new map but it will not forward it standing just constantly on it would restart and it would take 30 minutes but nothing happened .  Plz help me  :wink: 

It's normal if you have automatic updates, lots of mods, etc.

This is the process, for anyone interested:

1. Command sent to server to check Steam for update - 30 seconds
  2. Steam validates existing game server files which could be up to 40gb in size - 5 to 10 minutes
  3. IF AN UPDATE IS READY: Steam downloads the update - 5 to 6 minutes
  4. IF AN UPDATE IS DOWNLOADED: Steam reconfigures the update - 2 to 3 minutes
  5. IF A MAP ID IS PRESENT: Steam downloads the latest map files (every start/Restart) - up to 5 minutes for multi GB maps
  6. IF A MAP ID IS PRESENT: Unpacking  the map - up to 2 minutes for big maps
  7. IF A CONVERSION ID IS PRESENT: Steam downloads the latest TC files (every start/Restart) - up to 5 minutes for multi GB TC
  8. IF A CONVERSION ID IS PRESENT: Unpacking the TC - up to 2 minutes for big maps
  9. IF MOD ID(S) ARE PRESENT: Steam downloads the mod ID - 30 seconds for small mods, up to 5 minutes for multi GB mods
  10. IF MOD(S) ARE PRESENT: Unpacking the mod - 15 seconds to 2 minutes for big mods
  11. Server is started - 15 seconds
  12. IF BATTLEYE IS ENABLED: Battleye initialized - 5 seconds
  13. Primal data is loaded - 10 seconds to 3 minutes (depending on size of world data, custom map)
  14. Full startup: 2 to 15 minutes (depending on size of world data, custom map)

So as you can see this process can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes depending on the size and complexity of your server w/ mods.

i have same man i have like 30some mods its aids i think its glitched though cause im restarting server and it still shows the dont exit this page restarting but people are telling me they can log into the server/ also i as well restarted the server with this amount of mods multiple times and it only took like 40 mins now its never ending dont know if it is some kind of bug?

• 3 weeks later...

So what would explain a 5hour or more wait time? For the last 2 months, every time there is an update, the server will restart and stay in a "loading" status. It shows that its started but not "ready." This lasts a minimum that I have noticed for 3 hours and the last couple of times it has been 5 to 6 hours before I could log in.

During this time, it also shows as "not responding" on steam server list, and I cannot connect via FTP.

That's not a loading issue, that's a crashing issue.

There's no way to programmatically detect crashes at this point. The developer of the game just has it so that it hangs at a crash screen until the OK button is pressed. Naturally, this is not ideal for GSPs and leaves the customer hanging as to what happened. We've pressed them for this change but that's about all we can do.

If you do see loading more than 30 minutes then you can check your logs directory to see if a crash occurred and what to do to fix it.

It's hard to generalize what crash might happen after each update but if you are frequently getting crashes after updates it's most likely mod related.