Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Having a lot of difficulties thus far, server completely unstable

Luckboy

Hey guys,

Sorry if this comes out as more of a rant, but I've opened multiple support tickets and nothing ever really gets better.

I've had the server for less than two months, and I've spent almost every day dealing with server problems.

Problems to date:

• Random server crashes/disconnects:  Everybody will be booted from the server, and be given timeout errors when attempting to re-connect.  This happens in the middle of the day without warning, so it's not the nightly reboot.
  • Long lag spikes:  Every 10 or 15 minutes, the game will completely stop for 10-20 seconds.  After this massive lag spike, you'll be jumped back to where-ever you were standing before the lag started.  This pretty much makes any trip out into the wild super, super dangerous, because lag spikes can murder you if you're in combat with something.
  • Constant rubber-banding:  This was fixed somewhat by going up to a faster CPU server, but why would I have to request this?   You advertise lag-free servers, and it was unplayable by a single person until I opened a support ticket.
  • Server takes 2-3 hours to reboot.   What in the world is it doing for 2-3 hours?   Every time I need to do small configuration change, I have to give up playing ARK for the evening because it'll be restarting.   I could literally download the entire game server and install it in less time than it takes for your server to simply restart.

What gives, guys?    I love your control panel, etc, and I really do want to like you -- but I've been through hell and back just trying to get a stable ARK server running.    What's up with that?

Server:  11053

I initially removed your thread because all of these items have been repeatedly discussed over and over and there are dedicated individual threads for all of these topics. I will break that down here.

Random server crashes/disconnects:  Everybody will be booted from the server, and be given timeout errors when attempting to re-connect.  This happens in the middle of the day without warning, so it's not the nightly reboot.

Entire thread dedicated to this subject in which I break down the issue, why it's happening, and progress related to this issue: https://www.survivalservers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2515-server-repeated-crashing-timeouts-and-disconnects-since-v232x/

As an update to this, we've been working recently with the developers and have assisted them necessary crash data with several of the recent ARK patches to get this fixed. The server crashes are getting better but the freezing issue remains a present ARK bug.

Long lag spikes:  Every 10 or 15 minutes, the game will completely stop for 10-20 seconds.  After this massive lag spike, you'll be jumped back to where-ever you were standing before the lag started.  This pretty much makes any trip out into the wild super, super dangerous, because lag spikes can murder you if you're in combat with something.

Normal game behavior attributed to the alpha game.

Constant rubber-banding:  This was fixed somewhat by going up to a faster CPU server, but why would I have to request this?   You advertise lag-free servers, and it was unplayable by a single person until I opened a support ticket.

The phrasing "lag-free servers" comes with the caveat that the game is a non-alpha, optimized game. Which ARK is not.

Server takes 2-3 hours to reboot.   What in the world is it doing for 2-3 hours?   Every time I need to do small configuration change, I have to give up playing ARK for the evening because it'll be restarting.   I could literally download the entire game server and install it in less time than it takes for your server to simply restart.

If your server doesn't boot in the advertised 60 minutes, we can debug it via support ticket.

I am working with thousands of servers every week and I never ever have experienced a restart that was over 45 minutes or so with TONS of mods AND automatic updates enabed.

Sorry you are having a bad experience, but if you did read around the forums you would see literally all of these issues (except maybe the 4th one) well explained and discussed here on the forums.

If you had read the rubber banding thread, you would know that if you submit a support ticket, we can likely support you. If it gets to an end of the road type of situation (you still have lag even after being transferred to our top machines) then a server wipe would be the only thing we could recommend.

• Long lag spikes:  Every 10 or 15 minutes, the game will completely stop for 10-20 seconds.  After this massive lag spike, you'll be jumped back to where-ever you were standing before the lag started.  This pretty much makes any trip out into the wild super, super dangerous, because lag spikes can murder you if you're in combat with something.
  • Constant rubber-banding:  This was fixed somewhat by going up to a faster CPU server, but why would I have to request this?   You advertise lag-free servers, and it was unplayable by a single person until I opened a support ticket.

Our server had similar issues to yours, we managed to remove it by changing the Auto Save Interval in the Server Config, it was set to save every 15 minutes, so we changed it to every 12 hours instead, that removed the constant Lag Spikes and Rubber Banding.

Interesting.  I'll look into the auto-save interval, that might help.

I was mostly just upset that I was trying to start a new server, and I was bleeding the precious few players that I had, because the server had been branded "unstable", because nobody could just get on and play -- it was (and is) a constant on-going fight to keep the server online.  And even when it's online, it often times out and simply doesn't respond to login attempts.

I have no idea what to do.  Do you think moving to a dedicated host is my only option at this point?