Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

New to this

Mulrak

Hello folks,

Just wanted to drop by and say hi.  I just purchased/rented an ARK server for my wife and friends.  I think I got everything set right and its updating on the site page  "Do NOT exit this page" thingy is going.  I has been over 20 min, but will keep it running.  So far it seems very easy to use, but I am still confused if i want to save my server just in case of a BIG update and such.  Is this the FTP thing that i have seen and read about?  Any other tips will be helpful, thanks!

Mulrak

Hey there Mulrak,

There are are a few different tools that you will want to familiarize yourself with and a lot of it will be trial and error until you get the hang of things.

1. ARKon is a remote desktop client that allows you to do certain things in the server while not needing to be in game. From arkon you can kick, ban and whitelist players. You can send broadcasts to the server or individual players and you can run certain scripted commands. http://rusty.sadface.co.uk/download/ARKon/ARKon.zip

2. scripted admin commands are something that you should get familiar with as most of your admin commands are done this way either in game or via ARKon. Here is a list that seems to stay pretty up to date http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454529617&insideModal=1

3. FTP client. You will use your FTP client to upload files to your server or download them from your server. There are a lot of FTP clients out there. I personally prefer Filezilla. https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

4. Survival Servers control panel. There are quite a few options here so I can't really go over them all but you will use the control panel for quite a few things. From here you can start, stop, launch, rename or move your server to name a few. If you want to modify settings on your server you can click modify server config or you can directly modify the ini files via your ftp client. You can also click on sub users on the left side and set up sub user accounts that will have access to either limited or full versions of your control panel (you choose). This is helpful to allow other admins to restart etc without giving out all of your passwords and without them having full access to your survival servers account. Another helpful thing is to set up an automatic restart interval and set "ark Update" to enable. When your server restarts, it will automatically check for any updates and download them to your server.

Anyways, good luck with your server and post a topic if you have any questions.