Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Server Crash Wiped World

Joe Maney

I am a new customer. I experienced a server crash a few days ago at 9pm, during the crash I looked at the control panel for the server to see ??? in the server details section. And noticed the server was not restarting itself. So I restarted the server using the "restart" button at the top of the screen. After a few minutes my server appeared to have restarted successfully and I was able to log back in. However my entire world was WIPED. I decided to troubleshoot the issue to see if it was my own user error that created the wipe. I decided to build a little bit and make some marks on the new map/world. I then restarted the server at the top right of the control panel again with the same "restart" button. I logged back into the server with the world being unchanged/not wiped. So this tells me that the server crashed on its own, and with that crash it had wiped all world data from the server and restarted a fresh world. And the restart I enacted did not WIPE the server. I do realize there are server backups you can load back into your world. However for us the last backup was 7am that morning. Which was 14 hours before the crash occurred. Which means without knowing when these crashes will happen, we could potentially lose everything again, if we miss-time another potential 14 hour window our progress could be wiped again... I have submitted a support ticket and was informed the line below.

"Im afraid only the backups in the control panel are available. We are aware of this issue though and working on fixing it. I can add 5 days to your server for the inconvenience so you can catch up and are compensated for the lost time." 

I decided to do some investigation in the forums to see if others with Valheim servers are experiencing similar issues. It turns out there is a post from February of LAST year, indicating approximately the same thing. So this has been happening for over a year without any fixes? Or could this be a new iteration of crashes being introduced? I would like to know as much as possible for others who invest in this service, to see if I am going to be continue investing in a server on this site.

I would appreciate all comments with server owners who...

1.  Have a healthy server that crashes don't happen on often
  2. Others who are experiencing crashes resulting in wiped servers
  3.  Any other additional information that may be beneficial to this subject for other potential forum readers.