Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

How to you edit the game.ini?

Souperman

You can use FTP to grab current game.ini, modify it in a text editor like notepad++. Save. Then use FTP to overwrite existing.

*Recommend making a backup/copy of original and rename it something like ORIGgame

In case you or others may not know where the file is located:

/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/WindowsServer

I would also to be safe: Stop server. Then do your work. Then replace existing file. Then Start server in cpanel.

Now with all forums posts related to some having issues, you may want to wait on stopping and restarting a server. Myself have had no issues since last night.

I hope that helps.

You can do this-

Log into your FTP. Go to the folder /ShooterGame/Saved/Config/WindowsServer, look for your file.

Download to your pc with using an FTP application (ie: filezilla). Remember where you placed it on your pc.

Look for the new file on your PC and make a copy of it. Call it like ORIGgame

Open the other file game.ini in a text editor like notepad++ or notepad works.

Make your edits.

Save

Now open your FTP application, go to the same folder location as above.

Copy the game.ini file from your pc to the folder location. You will be prompted from Filezilla if you want to overwrite. Say yes.

Then log into cpanel at SS, stop server.

WAIT for it to completely stop. It will change from Ready to stop. I say this cause if you don't, you could hose a process that may prevent server to come back up. I did this the other day by not waiting.

Then start server back up through cpanel.

That's it.

There are other ways as well. This is the way i've done it for a long time.

Should FTP be on my computer already or do I need to download it?

Update: I have two copys one old and one updated I am just having trouble switching the old file out with the new one.

One of the most popular apps is Filezilla. Google it, download it, install it.

You will put the IP of the FTP, login and password. This information is located in your SS Panel

One of the most popular apps is Filezilla. Google it, download it, install it.

You will put the IP of the FTP, login and password. This information is located in your SS Panel.

OR:

Say you are happy with the current Game.ini file, and you just want to ADD lines of code to it, through your SS Panel, go to MODIFY SERVER CONFIG.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom... you will see "GameUserSettings.ini Custom Code"

This code is appended to the bottom of the GameUserSettings.ini file.

Click save configuration. Server will restart for you.

Okay I will try the first one I have alreayd tried the second one but it seems to only be affecting my GameUsersettings.ini and not my Game.ini file.

And you are exactly correct. Oops. That is only for the GameUserssettings.ini. Good catch.

I will update my post since you quoted me. :)

I am putting everything in but it says I am most likely connected to the wrong port any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

It is saying that I have a protocol error and that I am most likely connected to the wrong port.

Are you putting the correct port in?

Also, are you changing in Filezilla from the default anon to your actual login and password?

I would suggest if you are having issues still is to create a support ticket. They have been very helpful in my setup and in general.

Not sure if your ticket has been answered yet. I know they have been extremely busy. But I took a peak at my FZ.

Protocol should be FTP. Default Encryption: explicit FTP over TLS if available. Change login Type from anon to Normal, then user and password.

I do not port a port in. The user name is not the same as your panel. It will start with ss<server#><acctlogin>

Password is different too.

Hope that helps.