Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Changing Difficulty Not Working

Raynn Falu

So I've seen a few posts about stuff similar to this, but nothing with my specific problem. Essentially I have a cluster server with my friends, main map the island, cluster is scorched earth, and we wanted to change the difficulty from 4 to 5. Pretty basic we thought, just gotta modify the offset at the top which has been set at 4 for over a year since we initially bought the server. Changed it to 5, wiped the wild animals, they were still at difficulty 4 when they respawned. After some digging I discovered that we needed to put in 1.286 or something to get difficulty 5 because of how that system works. Somewhat weird I thought, since we had the number at 4 rather than 1 for so long, and the animals were at difficulty 4 rather than something insanely high. Wiped the ark again with the correct number in the difficulty offset, still running difficulty 4 based on the animals spawning with levels that are multiples of 4. The only thing we haven't tried is running the server with a change to the .ini at the bottom of the "modify server config" tab, but I've seen posts here and elsewhere that that only works for certain situations or something to that effect, so the gist is that I've tried the options I've found, read up as much as I could online and that didn't help, so I'm lost and need to know if I'm just missing something or if something isn't working as intended. Any help would be appreciated.

You're going to need to add the line

OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.000000

To your gameusersettings.ini file

In order to bump every dino up to 150. Hope that helps!

gave it a go, still stuck at difficulty 4 it would appear

I believe you still have to put the offset setting at 5.0 as well, its just that OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.000000 in the GameUserSettings.ini actually allows it to function.

This command can also be used on the commandline if you put it in as ?OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.0

But either way should work, just make sure you are putting it in GameUserSettings.ini and not just Game.ini (Under Shootergame/Saved/Config/WindowsServer) And then inside that file it should be under the [serverSettings] area, but it shouldn't matter what order, just as long as it's under that heading.

And then of course a reboot will be necessary. But this is working 100% for my server. Let me know if you have any issues.

I believe you still have to put the offset setting at 5.0 as well, its just that OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.000000 in the GameUserSettings.ini actually allows it to function.

This command can also be used on the commandline if you put it in as ?OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.0

But either way should work, just make sure you are putting it in GameUserSettings.ini and not just Game.ini (Under Shootergame/Saved/Config/WindowsServer) And then inside that file it should be under the [serverSettings] area, but it shouldn't matter what order, just as long as it's under that heading.

And then of course a reboot will be necessary. But this is working 100% for my server. Let me know if you have any issues.

yeah not working for us, guess i'll make a support ticket and hope they have something that works

Sorry to hear that, I'm out of ideas. Hope the support ticket works. If so definitely let us know here!

+1 I am having this same problem please respond back here if you find a solution.

I struggled with this as well and finally found a solution. In your modify server config, Make sure to keep your difficultyoffset to 1, then down at the gameusersettings.ini box, add what is said above but make sure to put [serverSettings] above it so it will read into the actual file because if you look at your gameusersettings.ini file, the first thing at the top is [serverSettings] which controls... well, the server settings lol. Without it, the line or command that you put will end up attaching to the bottom of your [MessageOfTheDay] variable so it won't work. Here's a SS of what I put and it worked perfectly. I also may add that I was trying to put the ShowFloatingDamageText=True by itself before without the [serverSettings] and it would not show up no matter what I did. But when I added it under there, it worked! Hope this helps! 

b0869661f3.png

Before, I only had really low level dinos spawning but after doing a dino wipe, I now have up to level 300's spawning! 

I struggled with this as well and finally found a solution. In your modify server config, Make sure to keep your difficultyoffset to 1, then down at the gameusersettings.ini box, add what is said above but make sure to put [serverSettings] above it so it will read into the actual file because if you look at your gameusersettings.ini file, the first thing at the top is [serverSettings] which controls... well, the server settings lol. Without it, the line or command that you put will end up attaching to the bottom of your [MessageOfTheDay] variable so it won't work. Here's a SS of what I put and it worked perfectly. I also may add that I was trying to put the ShowFloatingDamageText=True by itself before without the [serverSettings] and it would not show up no matter what I did. But when I added it under there, it worked! Hope this helps! 

b0869661f3.png

Before, I only had really low level dinos spawning but after doing a dino wipe, I now have up to level 300's spawning! 

Came here to say this. This was the only way to get anything in the custom .ini section to work. Add that header and it should properly save the changes.