Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Brand new to hosting

I'm thinking of purchasing a server, but I'm completely new to this sort of thing. Just wanted to know if some one can shed light for me on what and how to do stuff. I wanted to start a private hive that would restart every 6 hours or so, be a daytime server and have custom vehicle spawns and such. i have no idea how hard this actually may be or to do it, and was wondering if i did purchase a server if help would be given or ill just be on my own from then after.

Help will be given here. =)

As for your list:

Private Hive-

$25 with Survival Servers and I would recommend getting TheSilentWarrior Antihack program (TSW) at purchase too, which is an additional one-time $20. So total cost at setup is $45, with $25 recurring monthly. It's a fantastic tool that makes admining your server cake, but is not necessary.

6 Hour Restarts-

The easiest way to do a restart schedule is to use the BEC mod, which is BattleEye Extended Controls. It's got a simple xml file that stores your restart schedule. I also run 6 hour interval restarts, so I could even give you my file so you get the idea.

Daytime-

This is a standard configuration setting. You would set your server time type to Static and the hour to something like 11. What this does is every time your server restarts, the time is set back to 11am in-game, making it morning again. 6 hours will pass in game, but the restart puts it back to 11 again so it never gets dark. I set mine to 1pm so i get a couple hours of dark before restart.

Vehicle Spawns-

Also very easy to do. This host supplies a tool called Map Tool that allows you to add new vehicle spawns anywhere. You can also do them through TSW if you purchase that.

Any other questions I'm happy to help.

While admining a server is certainly not the easiest thing to do, it's not rocket science either. There is a learning curve but there are plenty of help resources out there if you aren't afraid to Google.

Don't mind the snark of some "superior admins".