Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

DigitalOcean Minecraft server instance

spot

An Intro. My son said he'd like a Minecraft server. I rented a 4GB 2CPU instance yesterday using the Ubuntu Minecraft 1.15.2 image, I put the UFW firewall up and opened both TCP and UDP to the default game and rcon ports, enabled rcon, gave it a password. I've allowed 200 players, he wants to get his school playing. I changed the systemd start command to give 3GB to the java run line and it now says

• ExecStart=/usr/bin/screen -DmS mc-%i /usr/bin/java -Xmx3G -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

I do not know the slightest bit about gameplay, when I log in I just stand there, dig a hole and fall in. The boy can repeat what I did to build the server now that he's seen it done.

So, I can rcon in with linux mcrcon and /op the boy, he knows what to do with the op status. I can list and see him. He can play. All of that works.

1. Will his op status  continue past a reboot or do I have to do something more?
  2. Is the hardware going to handle 200 players? I have no idea when to scale anything.
  3. Where do I look for mods? He says there's mods. I'm wary about security and about who writes them but that's just ignorance. What would I like to have known once I know more. Is there a performance implication?
  4. Is it true that only people with java edition can use the server?
  5. Only people running 1.15.2?
  6. It makes no difference whether they're on android, linux, Mac or Microsoft Windows™?

It's just dawned on me. "Survival Servers" isn't a generic description of what I built one of, it's the forum of a hosting site called "Survival Servers".

I didn't start the thread with bad intent, I thought it was more general.

The questions, or at least some of them, are still interesting perhaps. If anyone is knows the subject I'd like to discuss them here please.

• 5 weeks later...