Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Restart - long time

What is the normal time for a restart?

I run dedicated servers at home and restarts take approximately 5 minutes, 10 if I need to run an update.

When I restart my survival server after modifying the ini, it takes approx an hour to restart which really limits how many changes I can make when first setting up and trying to tweak. So if I make s+ Pull range changes in the ini and test it and see I need to modify it again to tweak it, well that’s over two hours and mostly that’s just down time waiting for the server to restart.

I have update if needed selected, which it hasn’t needed... so is about an hour restart time normal?

It can depend on how many mods you have on the server, if you are not checking off the "Skip Mod Update" and "Skip ARK Update" boxes when restarting the load times will take longer. If there is no need to update the mods or the server, try checking off those boxes as they should increase the loading time!

I now have about 5 mods. I’d have to go back and count. First start was with NO mods loaded and still took an hour. Just want to know if this is normal.

There is an option in the Advanced Launch menu that allows you to 'use cache' to speed up load times. We started doing this on my server and noted a significant improvement to load in times.

• 7 months later...

I have 9 mods. One is Prometheus 5. I understand it taking longer to start but it has been OVER 30 MINUTES! I mean 30 minutes and STILL not showing any sign of starting. This is an automatic reboot too. It started just as we got on. What is the deal?

edit: It took 1 hour for it to restart and I was able to get back in. This does not seem right even with mods, an hour?

I have 9 mods. Structures Plus and Premetheus 5 are two of them and they are by far the larger ones. I have Death recovery, Classic Flyers, DMK Crafting as well. These have not shown in other areas to cause any extra time but this is 1 whole hour from restart to getting to connect.

Please advise. (MOD NUMBERS: 751991809,1122209350,731604991,895711211,1404697612,1764189171,897664600,1609138312,870709781)

4 hours ago, tazdev said:

I have 9 mods. One is Prometheus 5. I understand it taking longer to start but it has been OVER 30 MINUTES! I mean 30 minutes and STILL not showing any sign of starting. This is an automatic reboot too. It started just as we got on. What is the deal?

edit: It took 1 hour for it to restart and I was able to get back in. This does not seem right even with mods, an hour?

I have 9 mods. Structures Plus and Premetheus 5 are two of them and they are by far the larger ones. I have Death recovery, Classic Flyers, DMK Crafting as well. These have not shown in other areas to cause any extra time but this is 1 whole hour from restart to getting to connect.

Please advise. (MOD NUMBERS: 751991809,1122209350,731604991,895711211,1404697612,1764189171,897664600,1609138312,870709781)

Do you know if you have the automatic update option selected on your server? If so, this is likely why the restarts are taking a long time. Each time the server is stopped or restarted, it will run the game update if you have the automatic update option selected. I would uncheck the option to speed up boot times!

I turned off auto restart and auto update. I now come in to find the server is just stopped. This was a problem before and never fixed. It is just stopped. I start it and as of right now it has been 60 minutes and is still not started. I DID NOT stop it. I DID NOT have anything checked to stop it. I played on it earlier this morning with no issue only to come home and find the server is just stopped. It is now 19:31 PST so not exactly 60 minutes but come on it is way longer than it should be. This is ridiculous. I have been on this service since Ragnarok map came out.

"Active task is running Your game server is currently working on task "start" which started 12/28/2019 18:36:55 PST. Control panel functionality will be limited until this task is completed."

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my ARK server with SS for a few years now and yeah it's now taking way way longer for server starts/restarts ... over an hour ... it did not used to be this way ... and I am using the Use Cache option and automatic updates are not on.

• 3 weeks later...