Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

ServerGrid.json Please explain

Wizzy

we have a 2x2 server group but would like to have set different environments like arctic, desert, etc...
Could someone explain or point to explanation on how this ServerGrid.json works?

Is there an editor for it?

Can it be modified to change temperate zones, number of islands and types of islands?

How is it generated now? Random?

Is there a list of all islands to choose from?

Need guidance 

There is an editor but it is very difficult to use.

The Grid function in the control panel need to be explained too. Not everybody here is a server administrator.

I only use 1 server. Does that mean i only can use the A1 grid with the 3 freeport islands? That would suck and it is not worth the money to spend every month.Map is too small.

Or can i add other grids with just one server?

Yup, 1 grid 1 server.

Wish they had option for Private Servers to load ALL grids and with max 10 players  that shouldn't be an lag issue

We need Hacks, lol

Id happily settle for someone taking the original Json map that seems to be our default for a single server & adding 2 islands to it, 1 Mystical & 1 snow both decent sized ones... I would give this ago myself as ive modded lots of things in the past but I cant even get past loading the default Json from my server as it crashes stating a formatting issue... Theres atleast 4 areas for islands 2 large areas :)

You don't need hacks, you just need to link your servers to others - example I have 6 .. someone else that has 5 we join now we have 11 grids, someone else joins and they bring 3 - now we are up to 14. 

That is 14 grids to explore (way more than any of us had running 'solo') 

Or you can break down and rent the all the servers by yourself if you don't like strangers in your game.

Like ur idea Gamer as renting dozen server $$$$$

Wonder if SS could facilitate a collaboration of servers ?  

They can - on your server you see where it says Atlas ID - that is your Severs ID - Mine as an ID if those IDs match well that means we now have a joined server - so an example would be on your map (my map is 4x4 grid) I'm in Grid A3,B3,C3,A4,B4,D4 - if you set your X and Y say to 0 x 1 then you would be north of my Freeport.

Thus giving you the ability to Explore not only your little Grid, but my 6 servers as well.

This is my post -- https://www.survivalservers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6725-so-nobody-has-posted-here-yet-well-ill-be-the-first/

we have a 4 server grid  but players already built on so don't think we can change ID (?)

were A1 B1 A2 B2 which has join gap to yours

If SS could oversee joining servers without losing building that would be cool

we have a 4 server grid  but players already built on so don't think we can change ID (?)

were A1 B1 A2 B2 which has join gap to yours

If SS could oversee joining servers without losing building that would be cool

So in your case I am not using those Grids, you just use my Atlas ID and change your X Y to the #x# shown on the little help icon next to the atlas ID then click reset template and it should be fine - your islands are not changing seeing we have the same 4x4 default grid and you are not wiping the saved folder. You could even keep your home server - just make sure you define it in the x and y field. along with the other 3 servers. I'm sure if you send in a support ticket they would do it for you if you where not certain exactly how to do it.

So your homeserver would be x 0 y 0 (side note - not sure if having two home servers is a wise idea, but I think it will be okay)

Second server which would be B1 would be x 1 y 0

Third server which would be A2 would be x 0 y 1 

Fourth server which would be B2 would be x 1 y 1

Make sure to match the IP address and port with the right Grid so anyone that has built on those islands it says in the same grid location.

Then click the Green save and restart button at the bottom -- I have added grids already and have not had an issue with saved data

I don't see there being a loss - your servers are still in the same position and we have the same map - the way I think of it as once you change your atlas ID to match mine - it is like adding a PC to a network - the pc doesn't lose any information but it gains new access to those connected to the network

Shoot me a message on Discord - easier to pass information like how I have my Game.ini and all that you can look at how I have mine set up as yours doesn't have to match I think the Game.ini should (I have my leveling a bit different seeing the lack of exploration points possible with our current servers)

https://discord.gg/vE3ewJQ

I don't pvp myself, but seeing my server is public and others are going to be looking for pvp, I set my grids up for pve and pvp - for those that don't want pvp they can avoicd the south part of the grid. And once you get your issues sorted and link with my map that gives us 6 grids of pve and 4 grids of pvp

A1          B1           C1            D1

X:0 Y:0  | X:1 Y:0  | X:2 Y:0   | X:3 Y:0   |

A2           B2           C2            D2      
X:0 Y:1  | X:1 Y:1  | X:2 Y:1   | X:3 Y:1   |

A3           B3           C3            D3 

PVE        PVE        PVP
X:0 Y:2  | X:1 Y:2  | X:2 Y:2   | X:3 Y:2   |

A4           B4           C4            D4

PVP        PVP        PVP     
X:0 Y:3  | X:1 Y:3  | X:2 Y:3   | X:3 Y:3   |

These are the Grid Cords - I am using X:2 Y:1, X:3 Y:1, X:0 Y:2, X:1 Y:2. X:2 Y:2, X:0 Y:3, X:1 Y:3, X:2 Y:3  

These are the Grids used by Wizzy: X:0 Y:0, X:1 Y:0, X:0 Y:1, X:1 Y:1

That leaves us with X:2 Y:0, X:3 Y:0, X:3 Y:2 and X:3 Y:3 open still for anyone else that is considering linking.

Also let me say if you ever choose to leave and not link with anyone - all you have to do is Change your Atlas ID to a matching one (you can use anything) then click your Reset Template button and click save and restart on all your servers and you are back to playing with no joint maps. -- again NO DATA WIPE will happen unless you change those grid locations.

FYI hope there is safety feature that shared ATLAS ID will not overwrite someones server

I put up my ID, hope that is ok (if it has potential issues please remove post)

Cool if we can hook up segments and can sail into different settings and environments

Would be great if SS could manage a shared ATLAS ID for those that wanted to join by letting new server lease owners a suggested grid coordinates and joining them up with common ID

FYI hope there is safety feature that shared ATLAS ID will not overwrite someones server

I put up my ID, hope that is ok (if it has potential issues please remove post)

Cool if we can hook up segments and can sail into different settings and environments

And this is why I was going to give you this information on my discord -- and not post it for anyone to see. Treat that like a password. If someone wanted to I'm sure it could cause all kinds of chaos if they linked with you and used the same grid as you. I see that you have not been on nor any messages sent so I'm assuming you are not interested. No worries I'm adding another two servers to my Grid right now

*** DOES NOT WORK ***

Had to revert back to our origin ATLAS ID

Also was shocked to see no backups!!

FYI: Game bug if requests new character DON'T just try logging on again

Rats

Wizzy

If linking servers did not work - how am I running 8 and you are running 4? 

It was just forcing you to start over .. or was that just a bug you should have ignored? Seeing there are no backups did changing your Atlas ID really do anything? Or did you panic before actually checking.

[Yesterday, 10:55 PM] Wizzy411: reverting, charater was deleted  players complaining

(as well as your players paniced - shame really you would have gained 8 more grids for your players but they didn't want to 'risk' losing anything to gain that -- but now looking at it did where they actually going to lose anything..)

Restoring ID restored our linked maps, the panic was creating new character bug rather than exiting and retrying. Everything was there.

As for my 4 maps linking it took several tickets and several days for SS support to get our maps linked even though they all had same ATLAS ID and grids were all set ok.

I'd say there is something over looked more than just changing ID and rebooting.

I'd want backup working before trying again.

You are welcome to link to our ATLAS ID if you think it's just that easy. You have our ID. Let us know.

BEWARNED anyone linking servers -- ONE Group WILL HAVE to Start over - no way around it nothing that can be done about it -- I just lost 2 1/2 weeks of server growth with the linking with another server.

Here Wizzy, guide to creating your own map and JSON file. Also, tried out the new server JSON uploader and it worked perfectly, although the map files did not go over. Perhaps it was because I did them as a rar instead of a zip. Either way I got the jpgs uploaded via FTP. 

https://www.drac346.net/2018/12/atlas-dss-guide-building-map-pt-1.html?m=1