Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

How do you back-up your server/game files? Can they be placed in SP and run?

Diggs

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere before but, I've not found it. I'd like to know how to back-up all my server/player game files to my comp. I'd also like to know if there is a way to load these files into SP and run them? Thanks all.

Your server files are backed up automatically periodically to the FTP. Read the pinned post above for help using the FTP.

As for reloading them if needed, there's a "Load Backup" dropdown list in your control panel you can use to do that.

As for loading them in for SP, you "should" be able to, however the methods for which I'm unaware of.

I'm sure someone else in here can chime in on this one though. =)

Thanks. I eventually found the post relating to the back-up. I'd still like to know how to get it to play in SP. If anyone has a clue?

Just rename your save folder to the corresponding save local folder. For example copy your "SavedArk#####" from the server to your local save folder and rename it to SavedArksLocal for The Island, RagnarokSavedArksLocal for Ragnarok and so on (depending on the map). Then inside that folder rename your steamID.arkprofile to LocalPlayer.arkprofile and you should be set.

Okay, I did the above. However, when entering the game I find I have to create a new character. The character from my server is not to be found. I also found most of my structures to be intact yet, everything created using mods was gone. IE, work-stations, items/structures created with said mods, etc. What file needs to be copied/modified to get my character from the server in the game and, what do I need to do to restore everything exactly as it is on the server? Where do I place the .ini files as well? Thanks for the help.

There is also an option underneath the back up restore where you can download the latest backup straight to your machine.

I recommend doing this every once in a while, because you never know when there could be a game breaking patch, or you might need to take an extended leave but don't want to permanently lose your progress. 

Okay, I did the above. However, when entering the game I find I have to create a new character. The character from my server is not to be found. I also found most of my structures to be intact yet, everything created using mods was gone. IE, work-stations, items/structures created with said mods, etc. What file needs to be copied/modified to get my character from the server in the game and, what do I need to do to restore everything exactly as it is on the server? Where do I place the .ini files as well? Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the late reply. I hope that you've fixed your problem by now, but it looks like you renamed your saved folder correctly but didn't rename your character save. Also I forgot to mention where to put your .ini files.

For future reference:

In order to get your character back make sure to locate the character save inside your local save folder, named something like 1234567890.arkprofile. Depending on how many people played on the server you will see multiple files with the same format. To locate yours specifically find the one with your steamID in it. If you don't know your steamID just google "what is my steamID" and you'll find lots of resources. Once you have your steamID and are able to identify your character save, rename it from 1234567890.arkprofile to LocalPlayer.arkprofile. Now you will be able to play as your character in single player.

To recover your game configuration and load your game with mods, go to your server ShooterGame/Saved folder and locate the Config folder. Once inside the Config folder go to WindowsServer and you will find all the configuration files that the server use. Copy those files to your local config folder under ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor.

Before you launch the game make sure that all your mods from the server are active on the Mods panel. If you have loaded the game without mods you might have to roll back to a previous save in order to your mod items back.

Without quoting the above post, this was a very good guide in order to complete your request and questions. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or fill out a ticket if you would like a technician to ever take a look at your server specifically.