Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

More downtime than playtime this weekend

Kjetl

My server has been down more than it's been up this weekend.  I've had in support tickets both days and the tickets go largely ignored for 6 or 7 hours.  Yesterday the server was working before anyone responded.  Today, the server is still down -- see below for more.

The symptoms are:

No matter which way you try to start or restart the server (e.g. without updates, with forced  updates and validation, with backups restored) it comes back to the sspanel way too fast, and may report the server is up or may instantly be in the "down" state again, but in either case, the server can't be contacted by ARKON, steam or ARK  (obviously down).

Nothing seems to make any difference once this behavior has started.  Nothing can be done from the sspanel, and despite having support tickets in, support is relatively silent (one suggestion to try a command line with spaces deleted in the mod list, which made no difference).

Now, I understand support is difficult, but the (IMO) very restrictive sspanel gives me no tools to diagnose the problem myself (which I am technically competent to do) and in the meantime, my server was down from sometime in the early morning hours on Saturday until around 8pm last night and has been down again from the early morning hours all day and is still down).  I've had one response to my second support ticket and that was over four hours ago.  I say early morning hours as the problem happens some time after the last log out which has been around 3 a.m. both nights. 

It's been my experience that communication makes these things less frustrating.  Being in limbo just increases the frustration.  I don't want this to turn into a rant, so I'm going to stop by saying that I am less than pleased with the performance of survival servers this weekend.

It is now 10:30pm.  The last communication I had from SS Support  was at 11:55am.

My server was up 7 hours this weekend.

~3pm on day 3.  No server, no communication from SS.  Nothing from them for the past 24 hours.

technically since your post, 24hrs would be around 7pm today.

So your first post is little hard to understand, your symptoms are full of complaints rather than straight issues.

What is your major issue?

Is your server down?

if so

Have you tried changing server locations?

even so

What does the report file say? (post your errors from the file)

..the tickets go largely ignored for 6 or 7 hours.

Our advertised response time is 12-24 hours max. That's well within. I did briefly look at your ticket and you bumped your post multiple times. We have  warning labels before you post a ticket reply and when creating tickets letting customers know that the bumping of tickets delays response even more as it puts you at the end of the queue. We answer tickets by order of last customer reply. I do apologize that you felt ignored, we most definitely do not like to hear that!

..but the (IMO) very restrictive sspanel gives me no tools to diagnose the problem myself 

You can access everything you need via FTP or via the control panel. You can access crash logs via FTP and debug issues with your custom launch params by comparing your launch params against the defaults. You had multiple issues in your custom launch parameters, which were incorrectly formatted. In addition, your server had some mod issues which have been prevalent with ARK since the day they released Steam workshop compatibility. Again, you can access FTP here and debug whether or not the files are there or not, use Auto Managed Mods to override our default mod installation, read the pinned topics (one recently which discusses an issue with big mods that has been prevalent lately) etc. There are no limitations to prevent you from debugging the issue on your own. Yes, it may be quicker for our staff to drill down the issue (as we are up to date and informed on the latest issues) which is recommended in instances like this.