Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Auto Backup Saves

Hi Sorry if this has Been asked/ answered before but i must of missed it. 

I was hoping there is away that i can create auto back up saves?

I currently Know that it creates a backup every time the server restarts, as mine is currently set to 12hrs, But i would like it to back up every Hour or so.

Or if this is not possible,is there a ingame command where i can save the server to prevent any mishaps when i start cleaning up the server and delete something by mistake? (like all structures)

Thank you in advance

• 11 months later...

Ryan with all due respect three hours is ridiculous. We are currently having issues with the server crashing and each time it does this it rolls back three hours. At this time players loose their work for three hours. I do know that Nitrado sucks with their support but their setting allows for a large range of backup times. Is this something that you may be changing in the near future?

thank you,

Paul

Rollbacks are not generally "to the last backup", they're "to the last save". To be clear:

• The game server keeps the state of the world in memory
  • Every so often the game writes this to disk; this is controlled by gameusersettings.ini setting AutoSavePeriodMinutes=##
  • Every three hours a backup is made of that file

If the server crashes, when it comes back up, typically it comes back up with the last save, which will be some number of minutes old. If your AutoSavePeriodMinutes is 30, for instance, it could be up to 30 minutes old if you got really unlucky and the crash happened mere moments before it was about to save, but it could also be just a minute old if you crashed right after a save. The worst it can be is AutoSavePeriodMinutes minutes of rollback.

You can configure that period to anything you want, but there'll be a short hitch every time it saves, where the screen for everyone freezes for a second or two. 15 minutes is probably as frequent as you should ever set it to be. I use 33 myself.

The only time the backups will be used is if the server crash also destroys the last save file, or if some other event, like a badly loaded mod, makes the data in it worthless. So a backup every three hours is actually quite reasonable since you'll almost never use them anyway.

There is a way to create saves in-game at a time of your choosing as well. The command is SaveWorld. (Don't forget the whole enablecheats thing and prefixing it with cheat.) Better yet, use ARKON and just click the Save World button. Again, there's a performance cost, so don't do it every minute or anything.

I actually have done some simple scripts that use FTP to make a save overnight, but not to have them more often, but to have them further back, in case something terrible happens and I don't know about it for a while (or in case SurvivalServers.com vanishes one day). I'd be happy to share them (sanitized without my server details of course) but they're not the droids you're looking for.