Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Server Upgrade Question

MOS99Z

So what you are saying is I will pay more to have a value changed in the ini? I won't get any kind of increase in server performance? If that is the case... I'll pass.

So what you are saying is I will pay more to have a value changed in the ini? I won't get any kind of increase in server performance? If that is the case... I'll pass.

When you upgrade your server slot it is not as simple as changing the value in the ini. You are basically upgrading your server to the next teir of slots. Say if you purchase a 10 slot server and wish to upgrade to a 20 slot server. You are basically upping your server to that next Tier. Which then you would be paying for a 20 slot server instead of a 10 slot server which uses less cpu. These changes are all done on the back end.

There we go someone gave me the answer I was looking for. Now for my follow up, why is that kind of information not posted anywhere? Normally when getting a server most people like to see what the server is getting allotted to it in order to compare prices. When getting a server all I saw was slot options and prices... zero tech info. You would think that would be something you would want to show your customers, you know as a selling point. Now all I can think is what are they hiding. See my server has been laggy recently and I was considering upgrading so It could have an easier time handling more players, but I have 0 idea as to what the higher cost is really going to get me.

There we go someone gave me the answer I was looking for. Now for my follow up, why is that kind of information not posted anywhere? Normally when getting a server most people like to see what the server is getting allotted to it in order to compare prices. When getting a server all I saw was slot options and prices... zero tech info. You would think that would be something you would want to show your customers, you know as a selling point. Now all I can think is what are they hiding. See my server has been laggy recently and I was considering upgrading so It could have an easier time handling more players, but I have 0 idea as to what the higher cost is really going to get me.

He told you the truth in the first post... Nothing Changes! He just wrote it in a way people think they are getting something more (new tier) when all they are actually doing is allowing more people on that server.

Otherwise you would have an IP change and data xferred to your "New Tier" because it has a better processor/computer. 

The post by Ryan is accurate... Nothing changes just slots.  Same PC, Same Ram, Same IP, Same everything except instead of 10, you have 20.

I think you are confusing slots with performance. Some hosts are allocating you a maximum amount of CPU, Ram, Disk, etc. We do not put that limit on any customer, no matter the slots amount. A single 10 slot ARK server might use less resources but will still receive the same attention as a 255 slot ARK server that is full. It won't make a difference because we do not overload our machines and we allocate plenty of resources for every customer regardless of how big their community is.

We have a ton of different server types that we use.

I assure you, we are using better hardware than any other server provider. Guaranteed.

Our common configuration is E5 Haswell or Ivy Bridge processors (2015 and 2016 era) or higher per-thread core clock like the i7-4790k with DDR3 (for our 2015 era servers) or DDR4 (for the 2016 and beyond generate) and SSDs on all servers.

We don't disclose each server's exact configuration because it's constantly changing but you can see elements of hardware all over our website and we are providing the service as advertised. I have taken some of what you said into consideration and modified the homepage with this information with our updated 2016 hardware line spec.

2016-01-19_15h02_51.png