Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

XML Not Updating Game After Restart

talkinggoat

I am trying to modify the cfgspawnabletypes.xml and cfgrandompresets.xml to change what the zombies can have. As a test, I set ZmbM_SoldierNormal's <attachments preset="bagsArmy" /> preset to be 1.00. This should mean that ZmbM_SoldierNormal spawns with a one of the backpacks 100% of the time, but when I spawn in a ZmbM_SoldierNormal, it does not have any of the backpacks. Even if I make the item name chance 1.00, it still won't spawn with a backpack. Of course, I am restarting the server, but it makes no difference. Is there a file I need to delete, to force the game to reload the xml?

Example configuration:

cfgspawnabletypes.xml:
<type name="ZmbM_SoldierNormal">
        <cargo preset="foodArmy" />
        <cargo preset="ammoArmy" />
        <attachments preset="glassesArmy" />
        <attachments preset="hatsArmy" />
        <attachments preset="bagsArmy" />
        <attachments preset="vestsArmy" />
    </type>

cfgrandompresets.xml:
<attachments chance="1.00" name="bagsArmy">
            <item name="AssaultBag_Green" chance="0.10" />
            <item name="AssaultBag_Ttsko" chance="0.10" />
            <item name="AssaultBag_Black" chance="0.10" />
            <item name="TortillaBag" chance="0.05" />
            <item name="SmershBag" chance="0.05" />
            <item name="CoyoteBag_Brown" chance="0.05" />
            <item name="CoyoteBag_Green" chance="0.05" />
            <item name="AliceBag_Camo" chance="0.05" />
            <item name="AliceBag_Green" chance="0.05" />
            <item name="AliceBag_Black" chance="0.05" />
        </attachments>

• 3 weeks later...

A couple things I discovered... 

Vanilla DayZ only has a handful of "attachment" points for zombies. That being said, specifying something as a "hat" or "bag" in the XML does not determine if it will go into that slot. Those settings are determined by the cpp files and classifications in the DayZ code. The file, masks_config.cpp, for example, sets which slot a mask will go into, using the flag "inventorySlot". Since a Zombie does not have a "Mask" slot, anything classified as a mask will go into inventory and compete with any other items you specified. In reality, you don't need to specify bagsArmy, hatsArmy or anything like that; you can name the group of items whatever you want. The cpp code itself will determine what an item is and into what slot it goes. 

I never did determine why manually spawning a zombie would not produce a backpack, but I did find the "naturally" spawned versions would, indeed, produce the desired effect. Further, it's possible the zombies I was spawning were not being given a backpack because the "item name" flags did not equal 1.00 (100%,) although the attachments chance did. In other words, if the item name(s) don't equal 1.00, it doesn't matter to what you set the attachments chance. In the example above, there is still a 45% possibility the zombie will not spawn a bag. That being said, it is my theory you could have all the items equal to over 100%, but if the attachments chance is 0.05, there is only a 5% chance it will spawn a zombie with an item on the list.