Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Characters won't save

Ride

So I've been looking and looking for anything that can help me with this but I've found absolutely nothing, I've set ResetID's I've looked at player.dbs and nothing has helped me so I'll post here. I set up a modded server and after around 5 hours of constant troubleshooting I finally was able to get the server running and joinable. Lo and behold when someone leaves and rejoins their character is gone and they have to make a new one each time they join. I'm hoping to get a response here because I'm honestly stumped and very upset. 

• 3 months later...

I had this exact same problem when I bought a server just a week ago - here's how I fixed it (some of these steps may have been overkill, but in the end it worked.)

IMPORTANT - KEEP A COPY OF YOUR SERVER'S ORIGINAL INI FILE YOU WILL NEED THIS.

1. Download the Project Zomboid Dedicated Server on YOUR PC via Steam.
2. Run the server once on your PC (just enough for it to create the relevant ini files and such.
2a. IMPORTANT - Go into your local ini file now and copy over settings from your server's ini file, some already exist in the ini, some dont. You'll need to make sure your "DefaultPort", "PublicName", "MaxPlayers", "RCONPort", "RCONPassword", "Password", "SteamPort1" & "SteamPort2" are all set to the same as in the original server ini.
3. Make sure your server is "stopped"
4. Connect to the FTP (you can do this while the server is stopped)
5. Upload the Project Zomboid Dedicated Server files to you Server - overwriting all. (This is about 5GB, some files, like the stuff in java/jre and the .bat files fail to transfer, that's fine you can ignore that. If you want you can try it a folder at a time to do more troubleshooting than I did.)
6. On your server control panel (on the Survivialservers website) change your world name from "MyWorld" to whatever the uploaded ini's name is.
7. Click restart and save settings.

Honestly there's a load of issues with hosting via this service, this being one - not being able to delete your ini files being another. But I hope this helps you get up and running asap - if you manage to narrow down exactly which parts aren't working, let me know.

My best guess is that the Ini file they give you is missing basically all of Project Zomboid's usual ini variables and it causes the server to get a bit funky, but honestly - no idea. This fix worked for me.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2022 at 6:16 AM, ArcanaDnDForum said:

I had this exact same problem when I bought a server just a week ago - here's how I fixed it (some of these steps may have been overkill, but in the end it worked.)

IMPORTANT - KEEP A COPY OF YOUR SERVER'S ORIGINAL INI FILE YOU WILL NEED THIS.

1. Download the Project Zomboid Dedicated Server on YOUR PC via Steam.
2. Run the server once on your PC (just enough for it to create the relevant ini files and such.
2a. IMPORTANT - Go into your local ini file now and copy over settings from your server's ini file, some already exist in the ini, some dont. You'll need to make sure your "DefaultPort", "PublicName", "MaxPlayers", "RCONPort", "RCONPassword", "Password", "SteamPort1" & "SteamPort2" are all set to the same as in the original server ini.
3. Make sure your server is "stopped"
4. Connect to the FTP (you can do this while the server is stopped)
5. Upload the Project Zomboid Dedicated Server files to you Server - overwriting all. (This is about 5GB, some files, like the stuff in java/jre and the .bat files fail to transfer, that's fine you can ignore that. If you want you can try it a folder at a time to do more troubleshooting than I did.)
6. On your server control panel (on the Survivialservers website) change your world name from "MyWorld" to whatever the uploaded ini's name is.
7. Click restart and save settings.

Honestly there's a load of issues with hosting via this service, this being one - not being able to delete your ini files being another. But I hope this helps you get up and running asap - if you manage to narrow down exactly which parts aren't working, let me know.

My best guess is that the Ini file they give you is missing basically all of Project Zomboid's usual ini variables and it causes the server to get a bit funky, but honestly - no idea. This fix worked for me.

Thanks for letting me know. You made my day. I also would like to help you by sharing https://thewordpoint.com/services/translation-service/automotive-translation-services site with you where you will find translation service for any language you want. I hope you found it useful.

Thanks for letting me know. You made my day.