Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Darkness Falls

W. Cirino

Hi Everyone,

Maybe I missed it, But I'm really interested in installed Darkness falls, but the only thing I saw here was from 2 years ago.

Is anyone running Darkness Falls here, anything special that has to be done? 

Will Survival Servers admins allow it?

Thank you ahead of time :)

The latest update has been causing issues with Darkness Falls and would recommend waiting for an update from the mod developer. Otherwise, yes our servers support mod installation.

Yes, very true 

Had a lot of issues with this, it was causing  me to fall through the map, constant crashes.

i'm assuming it had to do with the drone issue Kaine report talked about

• 4 weeks later...

I've had alot of issues,  the worst was falling through the map, it would happen with a brand new map, new install of the server.

within 2 mins, ... down I go into nowhere land..

after that the users profile would most likely be corrupted.

had no choice but to remove the mode,  but the odd part is...

I had the same server setup on another server ( no mentioning any names ) and I had No problems what so ever.

I seriously think it's something on the survival servers side, that's affecting a range of users.

I'm hoping the crew here is looking into the issue, as of now i've paid for a server I can't presently use.

They did try different maps, different versions..      i think they are missing something.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a really stable DF running here for a couple months, but then I tried to update to 20.5 and the current DF version, and yeah, fall through the world. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Edit: it's working now for me. I found reference in the DF discord that mods were loading twice for people because of the UserDataFolder directive in serverconfig.xml.   I commented out the UserDataFolder line, restarted, and so far it's golden.

This has been an issue since a couple patches ago and we are not aware of any fix. The mod developer will likely need to fix this and for now, we do not recommend using the mod for that reason.

If I understood correctly, that is one setting that you can not and should not change though. You will end up running into issues elsewhere in regards to our system, so this would not be an appropriate fix. https://survivalservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=7D2D_Server_Config#World

Thanks Luke, I didn't read through that doc. I'll keep trying different things. TFP changed where mods load from, not Darkness Falls .. I think Darkness Falls is just feeling the pain.

7days is loading mods now from $UserDataFolder/Mods and also falling back to <game-install-folder>/Mods, and if those are the same value they're loading twice, which is a ridiculous bug and I don't know what the mod author could do to fix it.  The only thing I'm aware of right now is to move UserDataFolder to someplace different from the game install folder. Maybe a subdirectory would work, then at least it's still in the SERVER_ID directory tree.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 7:41 PM, W. Cirino said:

I've had alot of issues,  the worst was falling through the map, it would happen with a brand new map, new install of the server.

within 2 mins, ... down I go into nowhere land..

after that the users profile would most likely be corrupted.

had no choice but to remove the mode,  but the odd part is...

I had the same server setup on another server ( no mentioning any names ) and I had No problems what so ever.

I seriously think it's something on the survival servers side, that's affecting a range of users.

I'm hoping the crew here is looking into the issue, as of now i've paid for a server I can't presently use.

They did try different maps, different versions..      i think they are missing something.

I've spoken with the Dev for the mod; DF needs to be installed either in the /Mods folder with the 7 Days installation, or it can be installed in the UserDataFolder.  Both should work.  It works fine with single-player, and it works fine when running a LAN game, so it's definitely on the SS side of things, not the mod's.  As we as users cannot access the UserDataFolder, our only option is /Mods within the installation.

That said, when I requested the mod be updated onto my server, I basically got shot down.  Told unequivocally that "it will not work."  The mod developer is aware that people are having issues here with SS, but also that other hosting sites are fully able to run and support the mod.  This is not an issue with the mod.  It's an issue with Survival Servers.  I've now been paying for a server for two months that I cannot play as I wish to play.

To be frank, Darkness Falls IS a resource-heavy mod.  It takes up larger amounts of RAM, I get it.  But honestly, that feels like what's going on here.  I've been a Survival Servers customer for YEARS.  I remember when there was a price increase based on the size of the world one was running.  No notice, just a sudden inability to play on a world you'd already had built if it was "too large" for your monthly subscription rate.  To be fair, SS made that right in my case; that's why I've continued to be a happy customer.

Now it feels like we're getting a bit gaslit that DF "doesn't work" when in reality, it seems as if it might be a resource/cost issue, especially as I'm not being helped to add the mod if I'm willing to accept the risk that I might "fall through the world" or suffer other adverse affects.  I'm just being denied.  I'd be fine with paying a bit extra for DF-based servers, if that's the case...but this "the mod is just broken" line feels really disingenuous.  It may NOT be, but the way it's been presented puts ALL the onus on the mod itself...and that's just not where the issue seems to lie.

EDITED TO ADD: Customer Service has agreed to add the mod; so we shall see how things progress.  Will update as warranted.

Edited by Xandyr78

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 11:51 PM, ATC1992 said:

@Xandyr78 Did them adding it for you resolve the issue?

Yep.  It did.  Worked like a dream, though I had to use the /UserData folder tweak.  Worked flawlessly.  I went to visit family in TN, and then came back to a server that's been COMPLETELY WIPED.  No worlds, no save data, no mod.  NOTHING.  No warning, no explanation.  Just...GONE.  I'm livid.  They didn't even rebuild it with the BASE worlds.

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, Luke said:

Update: In case anyone hasn't been aware, we have since updated our wiki with a proper Darkness Falls installation guide a month or two ago. https://survivalservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=7D2D_DarknessFalls_Install

Thanks for the update. Everybody has a role model in his life, and he must emulate him. You must also have a role model in your life. Do you wish to compose an essay about the role models in your life but lack the necessary writing skills? This article at https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/role-models might therefore be of assistance to you. Through this post, you can write an essay on the person who has been your role model.

Thanks for the update :)

• Luke locked this topic