Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

(Tutorial/How to) Unpack/Pack your Server and Mission PBO

Bilco

Tools you need:

PBO Manager

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16369 <---Download

notepad++

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ <---Download

Extracting/Unpacking

1. Go to your control panel.

2. Scroll down until you see Customize Your Game Server.

3. Click (download) beside Mission PBO and Server PBO

4. Go to your downloads folder.

5. Right click and select extract here.

6. Make a new folder on your desktop and drag the PBO "looks like a red book" into that folder.

7. Make a new folder and name it exactly whichever PBO you are extracting i.e. dayz_server

8. Drag the PBO into that folder and open that folder.

9. Since you have PBO Manager installed you should be able to right click on the PBO and Extract to current folder.

*note: It is a good idea to save, not delete that PBO you just extracted as a backup.

10. Now you can make any adjustments to files by using notepad++.

Packing/Uploading

1. Hit the back button going to the folder that is named i.e. dayz_server

2. Right click to PBO Manager, pack into "dayz_server.pbo"

3. Go to your control panel and scroll down until you see the "Browse" button.

4. Find the PBO path you just edited

5. Hit the big green button labeled "Update Settings and Restart Gmae Server"

*note: wait until the page refreshes or the upload will not take.

Done!

Nice. This should be pinned for all fresh server admins. Wish I had this when I was a fresh noob. I had to dig around on the internet for hours and used a PBO utility that didn't work before I figured out PBO Manager was the one to use. I'm still a noob but at least I know how to unpack, pack and upload my PBOs now!  8-)

PBO manager has compiling issues. I would suggest cpbo. The format changes in PBO sometimes rendering a server issue when uploading and playing the newly installed mod. Lot of times I noticed the mods themselves where not compiled.

click-here-button.png

Just to add that occasionally cPBO has unpackaging issues (header errors) where PBO Manager can successfully unpack.

I would recommend having them both installed as well as Eliteness for unpacking protected PBOs.

There's no universal PBO tool unfortunately. That said, cPBO is good for 90% or more of the time though.

As mentioned above, PBO manager was the tool that worked for me. cPBO was the tool giving me compiling issues. Haven't tried Eliteness.

Really?> that is crazy. I always had it the opposite. PBO always gave me issues. I loved using it but was just terrible. Idk than. Well whatever works I suppose

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

when i tried this it worked perfectly for the server pbo but when i try this same thing for the missions pbo it says

" before you can extract files, you must copy files to this compressed (zipped) folder"

any help would be greatly appreciated

• 9 months later...

If you had your server up and operational, and then decided to make some additions/changes to the Server PBO you might find that you have a waiting for server authorization error and cannot join. 

Try this as it has worked for me: 

With some PBO Viewers it does not save the prefix after you have unpacked it, edited, and repack.

Pack the dayz_server into a PBO file.
Right click the dayz_server.pbo, and then Open with PBO Manager.
Click on the PBO but do not unpack.
Click the Gear Icon above. Right Click in the empty box and Click Add.

Add "prefix" as the property, and "z\addons\dayz_server" both without the quotations.

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

I've been trying to unpack my PBO, every time I try to extract it I get the error, "server-XXXXX.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged. I've downloaded it numerous times. Any Ideas? Thanks.

You are going to be looking for dayz_server.pbo.  I am not sure where it is placed in vanilla Dayz but you should be able to navigate through the folders until you find it.

• 2 months later...

My mission PBO doesn't seem to be uploading. It worked a couple of times but since then I haven't been able to get an update uploaded.

I've packed it with both cPBO but and it goes thru the motions, select file, hit the big green button

But the mission pbo remains unchanged

using Chrome browser

My mission PBO doesn't seem to be uploading. It worked a couple of times but since then I haven't been able to get an update uploaded.

I've packed it with both cPBO but and it goes thru the motions, select file, hit the big green button

But the mission pbo remains unchanged

using Chrome browser

Ryan is looking into it. You might try again and see if you are still having this issue.

• 2 years later...
On 10/24/2017 at 1:13 PM, Sally said:

That's the problem. When I try to unzip it, it says it's either empty or corrupted. The mission pbo works fine, but the server pbo doesn't.

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now. mx player