Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

IMPORTANT: New updates will likely break Valheim+

Ryan Pennington

I wanted to bring to attention a common issue that people are pinning on us and what you can do about it.

If Valheim+ is updated, it will automatically become available for install within 30 minutes from the drop on Github releases page.

Now you've got the latest core files, great - what if there are config changes to the BepInEx\config\valheim_plus.cfg file?

Unfortunately this is where things get dicey. It takes us some time to update the Modify Valheim+ Config options to the latest version, and in some previous releases these will actually break certain aspects of your Valheim. That's unfortunate because we've not had that issue with the core game nor any other modding framework for that matter. Lots of regular config changes mean one of two things:

1) wait for us to update our Modify Valheim+ Config tool

Or....

2) Upload the changes yourself via FTP. Here's how:

First get yourself an FTP editor and follow along the guide we posted here.

Stop your Valheim server from the control panel.

Within your FTP client, navigate to BepInEx\config\ and edit on the valheim_plus.cfg file

Download WinMerge and compare the edits here to the latest valheim_plus.cfg found on the releases page (you might have to download WindowsServer.zip and hunt through to the BepInEx\config\ folder) and make the nececsary changes and upload the file back to FTP.

These changes will NOT appear when we add the new config options (or any config you change manually on FTP for that matter) to our Modify Valheim+ Config tool. It's a helper tool for whatever version is latest. You will then have to mimic the FTP changes to your helper tool changes for future updates.

We will make best efforts to keep the Modify Valheim+ Config tool up-to-date but for the hardcore modding enthusiasts, some elbow grease will be required. That's how modding works after all, break things, fix them, rinse and repeat ;) 

We're going to work on some version management to at least have the config file reset on updating to a new version of V+ so at least you have the latest changes. We had previously not been overwriting the Valheim+ config file unless you press the "Reset" button from our Modify Valheim+ Server config tool (which does fetch the latest)

Thanks for the clarification.

What I have tried to find is how I know when you update the modify tool and wipe the cfg.

Will you make a post? Does it only happend on server restart so its somewhat manageable by me?

Cause the problems with stacksizes/items/buildings etcetc cause the cfg resets only occur when you reset it. So I want to know how I can be on top of that.

So it happends automaticly, uncontrollable for me? Even if I have my server set to weekly reset?

Is it possible to make a forum post about it so we can be ready and make sure people dont enter our server and mess shit up before we have made the neccisairy changes to our cfg? 

Checking the changelog several times every day seems a bit tedious.

I guess my question is there a way to make it where we can check it to ignore the config tool and not overwrite the config on the server? I'd actually just prefer to always update it manually now on my own but I have to constantly check to see if this is going to break. I'm not afraid to put the work in but this seems like it can be an area of frustration that can be removed.

Or a way that locks the server on update until the admin unlocks it? Just a way to prevent people from losing stuff by entering since we all might play at different times. Sorry, just tossing ideas out. Not criticizing here.

I think you are misunderstanding how it works.

It won't overwrite the valheim_plus.cfg config file unless you expressly tell it to by saving within the Modify Valheim+ Config tool using the Save Configuration button here at the bottom of the Modify Valheim+ Config tool. (again, only in the context of saving values within the Modify Valheim+ Config tool, all other general panel save button presses are unrelated and don't touch valheim_plus.cfg)

image.png

So to answer your question, you would not need to have a skip config save option, you would just not utilize the buttons above at the bottom of your Modify Valheim+ Config tool.

3 hours ago, Ryan Pennington said:

I think you are misunderstanding how it works.

It won't overwrite the valheim_plus.cfg config file unless you expressly tell it to by saving within the Modify Valheim+ Config tool using the Save Configuration button here at the bottom of the Modify Valheim+ Config tool. (again, only in the context of saving values within the Modify Valheim+ Config tool, all other general panel save button presses are unrelated and don't touch valheim_plus.cfg)

image.png

So to answer your question, you would not need to have a skip config save option, you would just not utilize the buttons above at the bottom of your Modify Valheim+ Config tool.

Thank you for clarifying!  That's perfect. After reading some posts I thought it just automatically overwrote everyone's config file once updated. I was missing this part.

• 2 weeks later...