Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Valheim+ Plus

J Louis

2 minutes ago, simplestaple said:

Awesome, thanks for the full response and guidance! Greatly appreciated.

I've been a Rust administrator on a rather sizeable community for quite a few years now on a dedicated self hosted server. so much easier to manage mods/plugins/etc. Hopefully Valheim's devs integrate easier management and oversight in the near future.

I did see the shadow flickering issues with shadows/lighting. 20 minutes of daylight is an absolute pain in the ass!

Ā 

I hear ya.Ā  I'm "the guy" that runs all our multiplayer servers when everyone gets an itch to play something.Ā  I've run RUST, The Forest, ARK, CE, etc. so I know the hassles that come with getting mods going on different setups.

Valheim is still fresh EA out of the box, so it'll be a bit before things settle to a "normal" method of modding.Ā  For now, just need to work with what we're given.

Just now, Sythalin said:

I hear ya.Ā  I'm "the guy" that runs all our multiplayer servers when everyone gets an itch to play something.Ā  I've run RUST, The Forest, ARK, CE, etc. so I know the hassles that come with getting mods going on different setups.

Valheim is still fresh EA out of the box, so it'll be a bit before things settle to a "normal" method of modding.Ā  For now, just need to work with what we're given.

Ahh The Forest... loved that play through. Still will never get over how freaked out we were at night with the loud autistic screeching and the attacking fetus baby things...

Replied with this in a DM, but figured I'd put it here as well to try and help people get started.

Ā 

Ā 

I just used the set that came with VH+.Ā  "Windows Server" for the server, and "Windows Client" locally.Ā  Both are required to work.

When all is said and done, your FTP should look like the following:

Wk55pin.png

When it's up and running, the mod .dll should be installed into BepInEx/plugins
hKbVMs3.png

I've learned that most non-system changing (VH+) mods are not required to be added to the server.Ā  Like in the picture, "RememberIPDamnit" doesn't actually need to be added to the server, it's a client-side mod.

Ā 

Ā 

This is very unofficial and not recommended but I am leaving the how-to on this up for now as we haven't had any noticeable issues yet.

That could be subject to change with or without notice, please understand that for anyone looking to follow this method.

EDIT: We've released Valheim+ support

2 minutes ago, Ryan Pennington said:

This is very unofficial and not recommended but I am leaving the how-to on this up for now as we haven't had any noticeable issues yet.

That could be subject to change with or without notice, please understand that for anyone looking to follow this method.

The "method" is drag-n-drop in FTP, same as modding any other game.Ā  This is making it sound like it requires some great hacking bypass to work, which it doesn't.

Not meaning to sound snarky and/or threatening but if it determined to be a "no-no", "with notice" would be appreciated so that we can move to a hosting company that is already permitting (and advertising) Valheim modding.

I don't really think you are getting the point of what I am saying.

What is happening is people are modding the core game which is generally safe if done appropriately and tested thoroughly. What is happening here is that this is a new platform and very much untested for performance and stability at larger scale. We have thousands of Valheim servers and any small adjustment like this applied to even small or medium size scale has potential impact on our machines as a whole. This is why we are careful when adding unofficial modding platforms or addons.

We are first and foremost a game server provider catered to not limiting cores, memory, and disk. Secondly, we are dedicated to the modding community. We understand the ins and outs and the implications mods have on games - new and old.Ā I've been in this industry for many years and I am being careful on purpose adding in something like Valheim Plus. It's going to remain not recommended until we have a chance to test it at scale. Until then, it will not be officially supported by us, is not recommended, and we cannot guarantee your game server or others will get to continue hosting with it. As I've said, the ideal usage of Valheim Plus is on your own VPS or dedicated server right now. It may technically work but is currently not recommended by us.

I think that's fair and transparent - that's how we do things around here. Just because you have access in FTP to changing dll files (which typically we don't set it up that way) does not mean you can do whatever you want. You are still running in a shared atmosphere and we have control over that.

If you want to move to another provider, do so. I'll happily refund your service. For those that want to continue testing and providing data in this thread, go for it but I am going to continue advising people against this mod until we have a chance to thoroughly test it.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Pennington said:

I don't really think you are getting the point of what I am saying.

What is happening is people are modding the core game which is generally safe if done appropriately and tested thoroughly. What is happening here is that this is a new platform and very much untested for performance and stability at larger scale. We have thousands of Valheim servers and any small adjustment like this applied to even small or medium size scale has potential impact on our machines as a whole. This is why we are careful when adding unofficial modding platforms or addons.

We are first and foremost a game server provider catered to not limiting cores, memory, and disk. Secondly, we are dedicated to the modding community. We understand the ins and outs and the implications mods have on games - new and old.Ā I've been in this industry for many years and I am being careful on purpose adding in something like Valheim Plus. It's going to remain not recommended until we have a chance to test it at scale. Until then, it will not be officially supported by us, is not recommended, and we cannot guarantee your game server or others will get to continue hosting with it.

I think that's fair and transparent - that's how we do things around here. Just because you have access in FTP to changing dll files (which typically we don't set it up that way) does not mean you can do whatever you want. You are still running in a shared atmosphere and we have control over that.

If you want to move to another provider, do so. I'll happily refund your service. For those that want to continue testing and providing data in this thread, go for it but I am going to continue advising people against this mod until we have a chance to thoroughly test it.

Entirely understandable. If all of said thousand+ Valheim servers began running the same mod on a large scale, there's no knowing how much it will truly tax the performance. It could be possible to check those who are running it, resource difference, and possibly take that as a baseline x how many servers.

Definitely agree that access to .dll files is a big plus. God only knows how many clients would break shit if we gave ours access to said files...

3 hours ago, Ryan Pennington said:

If you want to move to another provider, do so. I'll happily refund your service.

Well, this is "nicer" than the 2 previous edits you responded with I suppose....

Anyways, all I'm saying is that if it is ultimately decided to not support .dll mods for Valheim based on performance/risks to please let people know with notice per your statement so that people currently running it can adjust accordingly.Ā  Since the vast majority of the current Valheim mods are based on BepsInEx framework (which I'm sure you're aware of), no .dll means no mods at all, not just VH+.Ā  And if that's the decision - cool - as you said, you control that.Ā  We'll be disappointed, but it is what it is and we'll have to change hosts that are allowing it since my players want to play modded Valheim.Ā  This is not something we want to do, but if it comes to it so be it.

We've always come back to SS for our hosting needs over the years and have been quite pleased with the service.Ā  To which I have repeatedly recommended this hosting as a preferred choice, so please don't take anything I'm stating as a personal "whiny consumer" attack of any sort.Ā  If you have interpreted it as such, I apologize.Ā  My statements are being made subjectively - the players I have want to play on a hosted modded server.Ā  The fact that you guys have not nixed it outright at this juncture after being shown how it's currently working is an appreciated response, and we're not questioning the statement of it being "unofficial".Ā  The response is more an expression of concern of any potential loss of 100+ hours of multiple people's work, "without notice", due to the possibility all modded servers being wiped and forced to restart based on such a decision.Ā  In the event that it would come down to this, a simple "heads up, backup your worlds!" would, as I said, be appreciated but with the understanding there's no obligation to do so.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Phillips said:

So...it looks like support for the mod has been blocked.

You were mentioning refunds? How do we go about that process?

I saw you were running the mod previously. Has it stopped working? Did you update it to the latest version?

1 minute ago, simplestaple said:

I saw you were running the mod previously. Has it stopped working? Did you update it to the latest version?

Yep. and now I cant even go back to the old one. Other hosting providers have Valheim+ quick install and other methods to get the most of the mod. This one has been giving me issues since the mod came out.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Kevin Phillips said:

So...it looks like support for the mod has been blocked.

You were mentioning refunds? How do we go about that process?

Just logged into my server, everything is still running fine.Ā  Did you do an update on the game itself, because as VH+ says that it'll break if you update your game.Ā  You just have to reinstall.

3 minutes ago, Sythalin said:

Just logged into my server, everything is still running fine.Ā  Did you do an update on the game itself, because as VH+ says that it'll break if you update your game.Ā  You just have to reinstall.

Ok, guess I'll check that out. Just seeing these Quick Install buttons on other providers have me hating this FTP process. But I need to be patient I guess. Thanks for the heads up. Valheim is just not...enough right now without this mod

16 minutes ago, Brandon Pittmon said:

Has support for the mod been officially blocked now? I restarted my server and have not been able to get it to come back up and i'm curious if it's because it's modded.

Ā 

Just to check, I fully reinstalled everything from scratch through FTP, everything is working fine.

There is a 0.8.1 version of VH+ that still shows up as 0.8 in game.Ā  Update both your server and local files and see if that works.Ā  My players were getting incompatible version errors today (while I could log in fine?) until we did that.

7 minutes ago, Sythalin said:

Just to check, I fully reinstalled everything from scratch through FTP, everything is working fine.

There is a 0.8.1 version of VH+ that still shows up as 0.8 in game.Ā  Update both your server and local files and see if that works.Ā  My players were getting incompatible version errors today (while I could log in fine?) until we did that.

Ye my server is just not running. It's showing as stopped in the control panel and nothing I do will get it to start again. It was running fine until I made an alteration to the mod and tried to restart. I put a ticket in so I guess I'll just have to wait till i get a reply.

Ā 

Also to add a point of additional clarity we have yet to see what happens when Valheim is updated and how this mod will affect save data. So we're still at the very least waiting for the next server-side update to see what happens to servers that have heavily utilized the mod for server save assets and how that will impact on each update.

4 hours ago, Ryan Pennington said:

No, nothing has been blocked. As has been stated, it's not officially supported and you are adding the files at your risk.

The assembly dll might get overridden if you update or have automatic updates enabled.

I forgot to mention this prior as well since it was brought up.Ā  We have automatic updates turned OFF for right now since the VH+ author has said basically the same thing at this point - it's uncertain what will happen when the game/server next updates and use at our own risk.

Despite our prickly discussions on this matter, I'll happily update here if and when a game update drops and how it affects our currently working VH+/modded server as feedback.

Just want to add another vote to add mod functionality!Ā Ā 5 Million strong behind this game, the mod community will outpace any content release that the Devs can do, and I need more valheim injected into my body

Another vote for some mod support here! I know Ark gave me endless hours of modded fun and being new to hosting servers (like this is my first time) having mod support in the near future is an absolute must.Ā 

SS is my first server host and I've read some awesome reviews, fingers crossed mod support happens semi-soon and me and my buddies can be customers for a great long while.

15 minutes ago, Ryan Pennington said:

We're working on implementing V+ officially at this time.

Great to hear!

And as promised, was just popping in to say that with the update to 146.8 and V+ to 0.9 (+ other mods), no problems thus far on the user end.

I am gettingĀ incompatible version after enabling Valheim Plus on my server. I've downloaded the client side files and put them in my Valheim folder as well - is that step needed? - and there are no updates in Steam..