Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

How to export world?

Zein Ersyad

HI, is there any way to export the world from the server? I want to reset the world and then backup the current world.

My friend just clear the world too fast, and also some of them using local world so that they looks amazing on online server, it isn't fun anymore for other Vikings, so I decide want to reset the world but give them the current world, so they can continue in local server.

I look at the ftp, where's the save data?
image.png.e86d21be37d4bf8599e904c45328e530.png

They just added support with the latest update to do a -savedir command line. Only issue is I'm not talented enough to script it to somehow find the correct user profile for the server and add a \worldmap\ subdirectory in the root access area.

The company itself should add a command line for "save path" to go into the valheim servers so we can download and export our maps via FTP

The 126076.db and .fwl are symbolic links to the world files. Even tho they are 0 bytes you should be able to pull them via ftp and get the actual files.

Edit: Removed the part about renaming the world files because it might break the world

Edited by Blisto
Removed renaming world files part

7 hours ago, Blisto said:

The 126076.db and .fwl are symbolic links to the world files. Even tho they are 0 bytes you should be able to pull them via ftp and get the actual files.
If you want to rename them both to a different world name then besides renaming the filenames be sure to also edit the .fwl file content and change name in there.

Capture1.PNG.ac443f0b31e3332fc315838392e22b3f.PNG

Thanks, this is works!!!

On 2/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, Blisto said:

If you want to rename them both to a different world name then besides renaming the filenames be sure to also edit the .fwl file content and change name in there.

Capture1.PNG.ac443f0b31e3332fc315838392e22b3f.PNG

Just to be 100% clear this absolutely will NOT work.

The .db/.fwl file located in FTP is read only and available for downloading, not uploading.

The only present way to upload a local save is via the .zip upload method directly on the control panel (Local Save Upload feature)

Did the above and got my two files, one db file about 28 megs and the fwl file is 1kb.  I am migrating this server to a personal server but the odd part is it loads the correct map and my progress and pins but does not load the structures.  Any ideas?

The map fog of war, your location and the map pins are actually stored in your character files. So when it sees that you use the same world file it will load those in even if it is a very old version or a broken version.

In your extracted world is it just your structures that are gone or is the whole world reset with trees grown back and terraforming gone?
Also is it only broken in a dedicated server or also in single player?

I did several tests today.  Stopped the server and restarted it from the host console, redownloaded the files from FTP when i saw the time stamps had updated. Named the sever in the batch file to the server "name" from the hosted version on the console.  I also did not change the world name and kept it to the numbers the host has used by default.  This appears to have cleared up the issue loading the world from my host.  I think there may have just been a corrupt db file or something and possibly having to name it to sync it up at first.  I have since renamed the sever and tested it again without issue.  World name I dont dare to change, at least for now.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, 802geek said:

Did the above and got my two files, one db file about 28 megs and the fwl file is 1kb.  I am migrating this server to a personal server but the odd part is it loads the correct map and my progress and pins but does not load the structures.  Any ideas?

I just did all of this. And the only step I missed was selecting the most recent back up on top of uploading save file (.db,.fwl) once I did this it implemented all my building and such.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, 802geek said:

I did several tests today.  Stopped the server and restarted it from the host console, redownloaded the files from FTP when i saw the time stamps had updated. Named the sever in the batch file to the server "name" from the hosted version on the console.  I also did not change the world name and kept it to the numbers the host has used by default.  This appears to have cleared up the issue loading the world from my host.  I think there may have just been a corrupt db file or something and possibly having to name it to sync it up at first.  I have since renamed the sever and tested it again without issue.  World name I dont dare to change, at least for now.

Can you explain the "Named the sever in the batch file to the server "name" from the hosted version on the console." portion you mentioned. I exported the 2 files and when I tried to load the world local instead but all my structures/terraforming etc was gone.

To clarify I saved the 2 world files from FTP then put them in my local /worlds folder.

EDIT: Nevermind. It must have been a naming issue. Tried it again, left everything alone after adding to /world folder and everything generated correctly.

The two files should show up in the index of the directory correct? How frequently would they be placed there? Do I need to restart the server for that to be updated? 

I did a console cmd save in game and then used filezilla to access ftp drive. I see everything else there but the world save stuff, check the sub folders and didnt see anything.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Ryan Pennington said:

The .db/.fwl file located in FTP is read only and available for downloading, not uploading.

The only present way to upload a local save is via the .zip upload method directly on the control panel (Local Save Upload feature)

Where is the .zip upload? I have been trying to upload my save all night. I do not see anything as far as a control panel is concerned other than a web page. What am I missing?

27 minutes ago, ekoms24 said:

Where is the .zip upload? I have been trying to upload my save all night. I do not see anything as far as a control panel is concerned other than a web page. What am I missing?

@ekoms24 from https://www.survivalservers.com/sspanel/user when you click on your server it should take you to a landing server control page where you get your IP and everything else, near the bottom on the left is the upload 

local.PNG

On 2/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Ryan Pennington said:

We are uploading the .zip file and every time the loading bar comes up, it just and doesn't upload the save.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask them. This thread has instructions in the first post on how to do it.

If you can't figure it out I would suggest creating a support ticket so we can upload it for you and you can just download it from your support ticket.

The first post doesn't have instructions, it has one screenshot of the files you say to download. What directory is that in? How do i get the files to display? If its the steamapps folder for valheim no world data appears in there for me

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear: If I move my hosted save to the dedicated server, even if I take the db and fwl files and back them up on my personal storage from the FTP (at regular intervals), I still would not be able to re-upload them in the event of a catastrophic failure on the server's save side? 

Honestly I've had the dedicated server purchased for a while, but have not used it because I'm terrified of the above circumstances. Unfortunately, the base is too elaborate at this point for a personal hosts CPU to run smoothly. 

Edited by Luneli
Typos

No, the game saves internally every 20 minutes. You can access that latest snapshop from FTP. Our third party backup service is an additional backup every 6 hours that you also have access to in an easier to use restore. 

You can back and forth as you wish, you just need to move the files via FTP to your local save dir each time.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm having trouble as I've never been good with this type of stuff. I'm trying to back up my server so I can have it as a personal because I like the seed and can't find it. I've downloaded the db and fwl files but don't  understand where to go from there. Thank you.

Let us begin your epic journey! With those files in hand, make sure show hidden files is enabled. Under Files options, availble in any folder, you will want to find the " Hidden Files and Folders " option and ensure this is set to " Show hidden files, folders and drives ". Once you have done that, you will want to navigate to your main drive (typically it will be a C drive etc). Once you have this enabled, go to that drive and find a folder called Users. Inside this folder find the one that matches whatever custom name you gave it at setup. (Robby or sommin similar etc). With the hidden folder showing, you should see a folder called AppData. You want the LocalRow folder listed in this folder, the IronGate subfolder. Inside that one click Valheim, worlds folder after that. Inside that folder is your .db, .fwl, .fwl old files for your local world. (make copies of this as something can always go wrong), but if you paste your copies of the world as you outline above it should forcibly update your local world to that of which your trying to backup. If you have any problems with this process, I am more then happy to answer any questions directly via the message option on the forums. 😃