Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Not showing in official server list? How to find and join your server methods

Ryan Pennington

If you cannot find yours server in the Valheim in-game server list

Unfortunately at this time Steam has limited Valheim to 4000~ game servers listed. This is a technical bug which the game developers are working on to have more game servers be displayed - both Steam and Valheim are actively working to fix this.

TLDR; it is almost certain your game server will not appear in the server list until they fix it.

What do I do!? Do not fear! There is hope, use one of the methods below to join.

Alternate methods of joining your server

Utilize the following methods below to connect to your Valheim server if the server list is not working.

Direct IP:Port Connect

First open up the game server list and click the Join IP button

image.png

You can find your Game Port from the control panel by clicking the info box next to your IP:Query Port

image.png

Proceed to enter in your IP:Port here. Please note this is the Game Port, not the Query Port.

image.png

Enter your password and voilà!

Steam browser Join Method

First open up the server list from within Steam

image.png

Next, click the Favorites tab at the top.

Then, click Add a Server.

Get your IP:Port from your Valheim control panel page:

image.png

Use the port specified in the little info icon (make sure to use the Query Port as your Port)

Add to favorites

image.png

After you have added the server, click Refresh on that server list.

image.png

Right click your server and Connect to Server.

image.png

Enter the password and voilà!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

29 minutes ago, Ryan Pennington said:

If you cannot find yours server in the Unofficial in-game list

• Continue to wait - you can use alternate methods of joining your server until the Valheim server list is fixed

This is a KNOWN issue with the Steam API and Valheim and as such, you can use the alternative.

Alternate methods of joining your server

1. Steam browser

http://i.imgur.com/QaiCWTY.png

To find your server in the Steam browser OR if you have trouble connecting when it says "Ready to Play" in the control panel, take your IP:Port from the control panel and add 1 to your Port (example: your port is 27015 you would add 1 which would then be 27016) and add that to your Steam favorites.[/size]

For example - 

IP:Port on control panel: 123.123.123.123:27015

Add to Steam favorites: 123.123.123.123:27016

Example image shown above.

Since this isn't working what's the next step? 

So I was able to get this to work. Two things however. One is when hitting connect it takes me directly to it. This doesnt make the server show up in community. ( Both in game and in Steam ) So is that going to be a problem for friends or can they just do the same direct connect through steam like this? 2 is I did not require the +1 to the IP:Port. I tried that, but it said "Cannot contact server". Keeping it as it is worked though. Will that be an issue?

Hello

I open my web browser by clicking shit +tab while in steam.   And then I click on the open browser link.

It opens a google webpage that looks nothing like what you start with. 

How do I navigate to the proper area?

Thank You1.thumb.jpg.a5478539d0fd1c419e7f6fa917b9537f.jpg

CB

6 hours ago, Ciablue said:

Hello

I open my web browser by clicking shit +tab while in steam.   And then I click on the open browser link.

It opens a google webpage that looks nothing like what you start with. 

How do I navigate to the proper area?

Thank You1.thumb.jpg.a5478539d0fd1c419e7f6fa917b9537f.jpg

CB

It's not the shift tab browser, it's just the steam app proper.

5 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Any word on why I dont need to add +1 to my IP:Port? Is that going to cause issues? I get "Cannot contact server" if I tried to add the +1. Keeping it as is works though.

If it's working I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't do the +1 to the port number either.  It's supposedly the Query port but I've not had issues just using the normal port number.

Ehh... Now it doesnt work. Did last night. Not only did it not save the server in my favorites I can no longer contact the server. I tried the +1 to the port and its the same deal. Should I open a support ticket?\

Edit: Nevermind. It was stopped apparently. All good. Can delete this post.

I did this and it says server is not responding.  I checked the control panel and it says the server is running but when I click add server and then hit find games at address it just says server is not responding.  Is there a time after the server order before it actually starts running because this whole control panel is pretty unintuitive and uninformative.

IE:  The server status says its running but the server name I entered for it does NOT show up in the list and the adding a server process doesn't show a responding server.  I delete the colon and the port information and then some other server playing a random game shows up?  What the fuck is going on?

Hey thanks for the instructions, they work great.  However overnight the server stops.  We can't join it and it shows as not responding, I have to go into the server settings and start the server manually.  Is there any options to configure this or have the server start manually when a player joins?  Thank you.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:29 PM, Ryan Pennington said:

It does work. You just have to add it and then Refresh that Steam Server List once and then it will work (right click Connect)

Not working. I have followed every step. It says my server is not responding.

This method does indeed work. It's actually just weird for me. Most of my friends can see the server in the in-game list. Myself and one other cannot see the server so we have to use this method. Just kinda weird, is it a steam valve problem? Not sure.

No way to bring up steam server browser in geforcenow in this game therefore this method wont work any help would be appreciate as i cant get on and play unless my friend is on by joining on him via friends list.

11 hours ago, McMurderous said:

This method does indeed work. It's actually just weird for me. Most of my friends can see the server in the in-game list. Myself and one other cannot see the server so we have to use this method. Just kinda weird, is it a steam valve problem? Not sure.

It 100% does work and is the main method everyone is using (including other hosts) to join the game.

If you are having trouble I suggest opening a support ticket and providing a video or screenshots of whatever issue you are having.

11 hours ago, McMurderous said:

Geforcenow? This is a Steam feature. You go in to Steam.

"First open up the server list from within Steam"

So the first password prompt works, but the second one tells me wrong password.

I have changed the password and updated the server,  any suggestions? Thanks!