Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies and more

Question on adding a cluster

Shindoku90

So, my friends (I have about 3 on my server, 4 total including me total) its the first time we have considered a cluster--primarily because we'd like to do the story  in each map.

We are starting with The Island, and plan to go to Abberation--Extinction--Genesis--Genesis Part 2. However, if we plan to just move on from The Island and never return after we transfer dino's/items/ourselves, is there a way to 'cancel' The Island from the cluster and just keep Abberation? Mostly asking this for a cost effective route since I'm the only one paying for the server. 

I wouldnt be holding on to the servers we move on from, just keeping one map until we move on to the next till we complete it, so on so forth.

3 hours ago, Ryan Pennington said:

You would purchase a second server to cluster with and it would be billed the same way a normal game server is. You are free to cancel it at the end of the term.

So, once the cluster server is bought, can I remove The Island from the cluster to reduce the cost, but keep Abberation? That was mostly my question :) I was trying to avoid having to pay for the Island cluster map WITH the Abberation cluster map, since my players and I wouldnt be using the Island one anymore, if that makes sense? once we completed the storyline for The Island.

I considered just getting a separate server over a cluster, but Cluster seemed better due to the ability to jump with dinos/items/levels, I just can't afford to pay for both The Island and Abberation maps together.

Apologies too, if the question is a bit redundant--very first time doing anything like this so I'm just wanting to be certain. :)

The only way you can achieve what you are saying and avoid the extra cost is to change maps on a single server in a non-clustered way. You would retain character information but everything else would be tied into the map (dinos, items, etc) the only way to have a seamless transfer is to have a 2nd game server attached as a cluster and transfer back and forth (one way each time)

10 minutes ago, Ryan Pennington said:

The only way you can achieve what you are saying and avoid the extra cost is to change maps on a single server in a non-clustered way. You would retain character information but everything else would be tied into the map (dinos, items, etc) the only way to have a seamless transfer is to have a 2nd game server attached as a cluster and transfer back and forth (one way each time)

Okay, I think that makes more sense! I'll probably do the latter, and see how things work. We're still working on The Island, but we're slowly nearing the conclusion there, so I was inquiring for near future reference. :) Thanks again Ryan!